1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Fullerton '57 P on eBay -- Authentic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soxhats, Feb 3, 2014.

1. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Any Fender Fullerton experts out there? Does this look like an authentic 1982-84 '57 reissue to you?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161127785174?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The serial number is V036179. I thought those Fullertons were all V00XXXX and no higher than V015XXX. Also, the string tree is to the right of the "F" in the Fender logo. I'd read here on TB that the string tree should be to the left.

I seriously considered buying this bass, but now... Messaged with the seller, who seems to have sold a lot of basses and has good feedback. He says he himself bought the bass in 1982 or 1984 (he can't remember which). Says he hasn't used it much through the years because he was afraid to take it out. I dunno... Think I'd need to see a neck pop and dates on the neck and pots.

Thoughts?

2. soxhats

I am by no means accusing the seller of misrepresentation -- I very well could have my facts all wrong -- but the "Fullton Street" reference in the description also seems odd to me. I asked him about it and it was clear he meant the "Fullerton plant." If you've had a Fender Fullerton in your possession for 30 years, and you're also pricing it on eBay for more than $2,000, wouldn't you know the correct name of what you have?

3. christopherogut

christopherogut

Hmmm... serial number is too high. Fullerton reissues went as high as V014xxx in '82 from what I've seen. I have a late '82 that is V009xxx and have seen higher numbers on Strats from 'The Fender Reissue Shop' website. V036xxx is like 1988-1989. The strap is wrong (should be straight Fender logo, not angled, and he claims it's original). The headstock logo doesn't match my '82.

4. soxhats

Upon more research, I'm becoming convinced this is a late '80s reissue. Might still be a fine bass... but NOT a Fullerton and not worth $2,100. (And he claims the price is "going back up" Saturday.)

Dodged a huge bullet here. After a few beers during the zzzzzzzuper Bowl, I came close to buying this.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christopherogut

christopherogut

Not a bad bass at all, but you should be able to snag something like that (Corona) for around $1200-$1500. There was a legit '82 Fullerton 57 RI at a Guitar Center near me for $1800 for a while, V008xxx, original case, etc., so they're out there.

7. soxhats

Yep... Man, this is a reminder why I love TB and seldom venture into eBayLand. Again, not accusing this seller of misrepresentation. Perhaps he's just confused.

This was his response to my most recent message, questioning the description and price:

"never had it apart so might have to open pick guard, also I did not buy any basses after 84 nothing grabbed me ...there were a number of re issues between 82-84 I bought..... any info is good info thanx."

8. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

The placement of the Fender decal (closer to the nut) is very typical of late '80s production. Along with the high ser. #, I agree this is definitely NOT a Fullerton bass. It looks very much to be one of the early Corona '57 RIs. But the difference in price between a Fullerton and a Corona is HUGE! Late '80s Coronas are only worth maybe a couple hundred more than the newer ones made up until last year. He definitely didn't purchase it originally in '84.. unless he got a ride there with Marty McFly. :p

9. soxhats

Ha! Wow, this is truly a case of the Internet giveth (online research, TB friends) and the Internet almost taketh away (getting sold a bogus bass).