1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Fender Fullerton '57 P on eBay -- Authentic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soxhats, Feb 3, 2014.

1. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Any Fender Fullerton experts out there? Does this look like an authentic 1982-84 '57 reissue to you?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161127785174?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The serial number is V036179. I thought those Fullertons were all V00XXXX and no higher than V015XXX. Also, the string tree is to the right of the "F" in the Fender logo. I'd read here on TB that the string tree should be to the left.

I seriously considered buying this bass, but now... Messaged with the seller, who seems to have sold a lot of basses and has good feedback. He says he himself bought the bass in 1982 or 1984 (he can't remember which). Says he hasn't used it much through the years because he was afraid to take it out. I dunno... Think I'd need to see a neck pop and dates on the neck and pots.

Thoughts?

2. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I am by no means accusing the seller of misrepresentation -- I very well could have my facts all wrong -- but the "Fullton Street" reference in the description also seems odd to me. I asked him about it and it was clear he meant the "Fullerton plant." If you've had a Fender Fullerton in your possession for 30 years, and you're also pricing it on eBay for more than $2,000, wouldn't you know the correct name of what you have?

3. Hmmm... serial number is too high. Fullerton reissues went as high as V014xxx in '82 from what I've seen. I have a late '82 that is V009xxx and have seen higher numbers on Strats from 'The Fender Reissue Shop' website. V036xxx is like 1988-1989. The strap is wrong (should be straight Fender logo, not angled, and he claims it's original). The headstock logo doesn't match my '82.

4. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Upon more research, I'm becoming convinced this is a late '80s reissue. Might still be a fine bass... but NOT a Fullerton and not worth $2,100. (And he claims the price is "going back up" Saturday.)

Dodged a huge bullet here. After a few beers during the zzzzzzzuper Bowl, I came close to buying this.

5. Sponsored by:

6. Not a bad bass at all, but you should be able to snag something like that (Corona) for around $1200-$1500. There was a legit '82 Fullerton 57 RI at a Guitar Center near me for $1800 for a while, V008xxx, original case, etc., so they're out there.

7. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Yep... Man, this is a reminder why I love TB and seldom venture into eBayLand. Again, not accusing this seller of misrepresentation. Perhaps he's just confused.

This was his response to my most recent message, questioning the description and price:

"never had it apart so might have to open pick guard, also I did not buy any basses after 84 nothing grabbed me ...there were a number of re issues between 82-84 I bought..... any info is good info thanx."

8. thebrian

thebrian boom boom boom boom bang bang bang bang Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Socal
    The placement of the Fender decal (closer to the nut) is very typical of late '80s production. Along with the high ser. #, I agree this is definitely NOT a Fullerton bass. It looks very much to be one of the early Corona '57 RIs. But the difference in price between a Fullerton and a Corona is HUGE! Late '80s Coronas are only worth maybe a couple hundred more than the newer ones made up until last year. He definitely didn't purchase it originally in '84.. unless he got a ride there with Marty McFly. :p

9. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Ha! Wow, this is truly a case of the Internet giveth (online research, TB friends) and the Internet almost taketh away (getting sold a bogus bass).

leesbrushes likes this.
  10. leesbrushes

leesbrushes

Jan 5, 2015
    aurora il
    Disclosures:
    none
    I am local and saw the bass.
    While it is a beautiful bass it turns out it is a 96..
    The seller was a great guy about it.
    I had a pending pay pal to purchase it and it was promptly cancelled after I pointed out the telling codes.
    The guy was legit..he owned it along with the countless basses he has in his collection for some time and always thought it was a fullerton.
    It was kept away while he played the others..broke my heart though..it was a stunning piece and has a great tone..
    I almost left with a 79 he also has listed on ebay.
    It has a neck that was a true piece of art..
    Someone will be very happy with that one but my search continues.

soxhats likes this.
  11. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Why don't you offer him a more correct price for it now?

12. leesbrushes

leesbrushes

Jan 5, 2015
    aurora il
    Disclosures:
    none
    I would and he did offer to sell it to me at the corrected price but I have my heart set on a fullerton..my son also plays and how cool would it be to keep in the fam for many years..it was tempting though..

13. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Well it's pretty well cleared up, but there are a couple of other giveaways besides the logo placement and serial number. On the back of the headstock the top point of the tuner plates are about an 1/8 inch from the edge of the headstock; On the early Fullerton models these are nearly flush with the end of the headstock. The case is clearly wrong for a Fullerton era bass. The pickup doesn't have the raised "a" string pole pieces. Also, the body does not have factory drilled pilot holes for the bridge cover and pickup cover.

14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

I am a little confused. Didn't the guy clearly state to the op in several messages that he bought it new in 82 or 84 and that he didn't purchase any basses after 84; but he told you it's a 96? The seller doesn't sound like a "great guy" to me! btw, the bass in the ebay auction is a late 80s reissue not a 96. By 96 I think they had corrected the headstock logo placement.

15. leesbrushes

leesbrushes

Jan 5, 2015
    aurora il
    Disclosures:
    none
    well.
    the guy had at least thirty basses.all very nice vintage pieces that he bought over the years.
    his house was like a museum..
    i think by meeting the guy that he was just mistaken. or was sold to him as a fullerton years ago.
    that was my take on him.
    he had soo many pieces..it was pretty cool to see.
    the breakdown was like this.
    it appeared to me that it was never apart,
    that was my opinion seeing it.
    the pots dated 1379624 that tells me 96.
    they seemed like factory solder to me/ w cloth covered wiring.
    pickups were flat ..no raised a poles.
    no pencil date or stamped date on the neck or body .
    h gastellum and f arellano stamps with a red rw insp stamp on neck
    R in marker in pocket....that was it.
    that's really all I know..not fullerton.
    says hes gonna just start playing it.

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The misplaced logo did go into the 90's as I had an early 90's Precision with the logo in the wrong spot but I would assume it was cleared up by 96 unless they were using some really old parts. I think mine was a 92 but I can't remember exactly. It could have been a 1994. I remember being shocked when I saw the neck date because I assumed that it was a late 80's one.

The sunburst on the back is another really quick way to tell when the body was made. On Fullertons the dark part of the sunburst comes down below the neckplate where as the Corona models follow the body shape all the way around.

17. leesbrushes

leesbrushes

Jan 5, 2015
    aurora il
    Disclosures:
    none
    thanks johnny
    I guess I never noticed that before.
    and I know that there are a lot of people that are shadey these days.
    I honestly did not get that vibe from him.
    he was very interested in the info we found out about it and no harm no foul.
    showed me around the place and was a very nice evening.
    this is a guy that doesn't seem to sell anything if you know what I mean.
    had lots of cool vintage amps and basses that he had picked up over the years.
    he said that he never has taken a guitar apart but guess he should start and laughed.
    I guess my whole point is that if I wanted to scam someone..i would get the money and run not invite them in my home and show them around and talk music for an hour or two.
    either way I think he had a worse night than I did ...

18. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    OP here... Leesbrushes, even in my message exchanges with him, my instinct told me he was more confused/misinformed than intentionally misrepresenting. (I did wonder why he kept the listing on eBay even after I raised questions.)

This really goes to show the importance of arming yourself with lots of info before buying. Good on you for going the extra mile and seeing the guy. Sounds like an interesting visit.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  19. leesbrushes

leesbrushes

Jan 5, 2015
    aurora il
    Disclosures:
    none
    hey op.
    I agree .
    he was a cool old school hippy guy with lots of really cool things that he probably forgot about over the years.
    I saw nothing that told me any different. hes still trying to remember when and where he got it now..lol
    he was sure it was mid 80s but it is what it is.
    it was only 40 minutes away and like I said it was a cool visit either way.
    ive paid money at museums and not had that cool of a time seeing interesting things.

soxhats likes this.