Fender Geddy Lee Jazz MIM quality vrs CIJ\MIJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpottedBass, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SpottedBass

SpottedBass

Looks like 2014 Geddy Lee jazz basses are now made in Mexico, not Japan. Was going to buy a new one, but wondering of the versions made in Japan are better quality and will hold resale value better... Thoughts? What would YOU buy?

Thanks!
  2. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I luv my MIM Geddy. Just wish it was shielded, but I guess that's part of the charm of having a 72 inspired Jazz[​IMG]I would to get a MIJ one as well so I could compare them though
  3. awilkie84

awilkie84

It's been longer than since this year.

Also, don't buy into the MIM is crap, everything's gotta be CIJ. -_- The new MIM basses are great! Just look at the reviews the Classic Series gets!
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

You mean like this one? :ninja:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/unveiling-~-part-one-70s-jazz-bass-1066538/

I also have a MiM Blacktop Jazz and it, too, kicks it something fierce.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pudgychef

pudgychef

THe only area I think CIJ/MIJ still wins out is in neck feel...

that being said the Classic 50s P has a killer (imho) example of the neck type.

The only MIM Geddy I played was an earlier model and iirc the neck didn't feel quite as killer as the CIJ

Classic Series and Artist Series are (imho) awfully nice basses regardless of the country of origin
  7. sok monkee

sok monkee Supporting Member

8. drlndrve

drlndrve Supporting Member

Just added a new 2014 Geddy to my Fender Am Select and Standard jazz basses. Frankly I was floored by the quality--really comparable and hundreds less.
  9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I can't speak to the 2014, but I've played a few GLs at GCs - and the MIJ ones are the clear winner.