1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender going up again? Or just a sales gimmick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petrus61, Jan 23, 2013.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Any particular reason why Bass Central would tell me over the phone that all Fenders will be going up in price in a couple of days? I called regarding a 57RI Fender P and a fellow named "Grasshopper" made me a "one time only offer" of $1349, down from the $1499 they have it posted it at. He said he was offering the deal because "in a few days Fenders are going up." I stated how I knew the AVRI line was being revamped with a higher price tag of $1999, which he didn't seem to know about. I asked if he was sure that it was 'all' Fenders, as most had already recently taken a price hike and he said yes, ALL Fenders. If this is true, that stinks, but if its not, wouldn't that be a bit of a sleazy sales tactic? (most 57'RI's were being blown out at pretty much every other retailer for close to $1100). Either one of the nations most respected, premier bass retailers is hitting me with real good offer, is misinformed or is giving me a deal under the pretense that a price hike is going to happen. I like to think that they are just misinformed, but after speaking with my Sweetwater rep immediately after, he told me that as far as he knew, aside from the new AVRIs, Fenders prices had already gone up and they don't anticipate any more hikes in the immediate future? Anyone know the real story?
  2. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

Do non Custom Shop Fenders really cost that much?

It wouldn't surprise me if they were to raise prices. Everything points to tough financial times for FMIC, but perhaps raising prices is what got them there???
  3. petrus61

The new US Vintage Reissues are launching at $1999.99. The current US standards are $1249.99
  4. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Well it is of course a sales tactic in one way or another. The shop by me will sell any Fender for at least 45% off and more off if there was a hike and he already has it. Example there is an american p bass deluxe he has that is like $1100. He does Gibson/Epiphone as well.
  5. jpeck02

jpeck02 Supporting Member

Back in th 60s and 70s, there was a certain sales closing technique called "the impending event close." Either the price is going up on Monday or the sale ends on Monday or the rebates expire on Monday or whatever.
  6. klejst

klejst

Honestly I think everything is going up in price. Even the used market I have noticed.
  7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Its due to inflation, pretty normal pricing strategy to me, at start of new year or end of the year usually there will be a price increase for most products to keep the coat of inflation.
  8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Companies in general usually mark up prices each year. I haven't shopped at Bass Central yet, but read plenty of information. I've read only complimentary comments about Grasshopper. If you have any doubts, you could ask a question directly to Beaver. He usually replies to emails quite quickly.
  9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I would call grasshopper back and tell him you can snag one for close to $1100.00 and he has until the end of the conversation to price match.
  10. petrus61

I think I'll do that. I think it was a fair offer, but unless the price increase were true, it comes off as a little insulting. I understand retail and pricing structure so I can see it from both angles. If there is no across the board increase pending, it seems like they are more interested in making one sale to an uneducated customer than being up front with what could potentially be a life long customer. More surprising is the fact that they are a specialty store where many of their customers are well informed of the current market, so a tactic like that doesn't seem too wise. Again, Grashopper could be misinformed and I hope that is the case because AVRIs aside, Fender just had a price jump for the 2012 US Standards.
  11. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

From my experience, everyone at Bass Central have been always been class acts. If they have a bass you're looking for, I'm sure they'll price match if you found it somewhere else at a lower price.
  12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Just go on Ebay. I've seen brand new 2012's going for around $1100-1300. Or are you talking about 2013's? (is there a difference?)
  13. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

I feel the Bull$hit in this one grasshopper.
    [​IMG]
  14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

What are these guys, American Indians??
  15. petrus61

I prefer to buy new and from authorized dealers. I have no problem with the quote I was given and by most accounts, Bass Central is great. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt concerning this price increase thing, but if it turns out not to be true, I don't want to do business with someone that treats me like a 16 yr old with disposable income buying my first used car. That's just sleazy (IMO) and disheartening because there aren't many places like Bass Central that offer such great choices on bass specific merchandise.
    I am in the market for either a pre '13 AVRI or 2012 US Std and really hope there isn't another increase looming. Also, because the new AVRI's are coming in at $1999, does that dictate that all prior AVRI's will increase in a retail sense? Because that is what Grasshopper implied.
  16. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Thing about price match is usually advertised prices. Like I said about the shop (authorized dealer) by me. He always has his prices at least 45% off, but they are not advertised. So you couldn't call him to get a price and ask another place to match it.
  17. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

If Grasshopper told you, listen. They're good guys over there and wont steer you wrong. you'll also get an awesome bass.
  18. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Yup, great guys over at BC. Never dealt with Grasshopper, but I've bought a few things from Beaver and he was super cool and helpful.
  19. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

:D

Don't know, but my gut tells me that they have seen "Animal House" one too many times......:smug:
  20. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Maybe they are CB'ers! Beaver was an oft-used term back when CB radios were big. :)