1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Gurus... check this.. and the price!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gustobassman, Jan 20, 2014.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

2. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

I'm no expert, but I don't think LPB fades to that shade of green. The logo is barely visible and the pics are loudy. I would ignore the listing.
  3. nibs208

nibs208

I'm not a vintage Fender expert by any measure but it looks like Sherwood green to me. Either way I like it.
  4. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

I'm far from an expert, but oddly LPB does age to a green...
  5. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Subbed for info. Also that is a really nice looking bass regardless.
    The wear is cool too, it looks like the player played it a lot in one specific way for a long time.

Just an aside: Not an expert, but blue mixed with yellow(ambered clearcoat) does make green. So colour wise it does make sense.
  6. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

I don't think I would want to conduct business at that level with someone so careless and lacking in knowledge. Maybe it’s a fair deal but it seems risky to me. I’d pass.
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Looks legit to me, although it is on the darker side of "green" LPB. Photos and lighting can be a tricky thing.
  8. cripula

cripula Supporting Member

I wouldn't rule it out yet. LPB does some pretty wacky stuff.
    If you look at the decal it still looks light blue underneath, though the pic is fuzzy. And there's a streak of blue on the back at the bottom of the bass that looks right.

Definitely would need a lot more high res pics. A look under the pickguard and neck pocket could be pretty interesting too.

FWIW, this is what my LPB turned into.

[​IMG]
  9. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Any of you think the $12,500 asking price is reasonable for what it appears to be? I'm only curious because, A) I have never seen a price like this on a Fender, and B) this is the first i've seen like this locally on CL.

I'm broke.. count me out. :D
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Nice. LPB can age to green.

The posters here may want to realize that it doesn't 'fade' (grow lighter), it grows darker as the clearcoat yellows... and what happens when you turn the clear to a darker color? The undercoat appears to darken...and what happens when you add yellow and blue together? You get green. :eek:

I'd like to see shots under the pickguard, in the cavities and the neck pocket.
  11. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

LPB does indeed age to green, and if neglected for a few decades, darker than you would imagine. But that price? Pass. They don't have THAT much mojo. I mean you are well on your way to buying a car or a house at that price. Will it eventually be worth that? Probably in 20 years or so. But why pay 2034 prices in 2014?
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Yep. I have a telecaster in ice blue metallic and it's a wonderful sage green...well aged clear coat.
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Depending on the date I could see that type of asking price for a 100% original, Pre-CBS Jazz in a relatively rare color at a high end shop. It might take a year to sell, and it may end up selling for 10-20% less but it will likely have that type of price tag on it.
  14. cripula

cripula Supporting Member

I haven't followed vintage prices as closely the last couple of years. Assuming the bass is legit, 4 or 5 years back that would have been about right. It's a custom colour, matching headstock pre cbs Jazz bass. Very collectible.

Nowadays, I'd think it'd be a tough sell at that price.
  15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

It's very cool but not 12k cool.
  16. MIMike

MIMike

Nitro lacquer can age very yellow, so whatever is underneath will change accordingly; blue + yellow = green. Red + Yellow = orange. White + yellow = cream. And so on.

BTW, that bass looks legit, and to someone could be worth more than 10G.
  17. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

+1

I saw a 64 or 64 P-Bass in Lake Placid Blue that had aged in a similar way. It's not unheard of.
  18. Natropath

Natropath

11000 for a 65 with a matching headstock in a custom color? If all of it is right, that's a steal.
  19. funkyebk

funkyebk Supporting Member

I'm not going to vouch for authenticity or the asking price...

...but I gasped when I saw the picture. Literally breathtaking.

and to semi-quote Tolkien... I think a fake would seem fairer and feel fouler.
  20. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

I think it's a rip off in that condition.

$7000 max