Fender Hot Rod Precision Bass circa 2000/01 question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr ...whatever... Supporting Member

I know there have been threads about these basses previously, just not recently. I had one of these back around 2005 that I paid in the ballpark of $600 for used, but in mint condition. I sold it for right around what I paid for it a year later because I needed a 5 string for a specific project...and I have been beating myself up ever since. Anyone have any idea what a fair price would be for one these days? Also, what is your overall opinion of these basses as compared with other Fender PJ Precisions?

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

3. Mike Sorr

What's the main difference between the Franklin models and the early 2000s Hot Rods?

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

pickups, electronics, hardware, finish.
    the early '00s hot-rods were essentially the same
    as the american standard p-basses of the time, other than the pickups.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bongolation

Bongolation

A lot of things, but most importantly the pickups are switched on the TF, which is the only way to go on a passive P/J. The HRPB has the worst case of V/V/T syndrome in recorded history, which is supposedly why they were dumped. How they accomplished this feat is somewhat mysterious, but I believe it was incompatibility in the special pickup set they used. These pickups were not on any other Fender. Though it doesn't say so in the parts lists, some people insist that there was an additional undocumented pickup change on the last runs that made them even worse. I can neither confirm or deny, but can say from personal experience that the final American "Hot Rodded" ones in the time frame you cite were bad.

I've seen these go for $499 in mint condition at GC, and they took a while to move.

7. Mike Sorr

If the original HR pickups were swapped out for, say, Duncan Basslines, would that solve the problem?

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

that, along with going to a vol/tone/3-way switch. if you dont mind the volume drop when both pickups are on full, then you could use the usual vol/vol/tone setup.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Dunno. I doubt it could make it much worse. The problem is simply that passive V/V/T is a bonehead way to wire dissimilar pickups and produces unpredictable results. Rather than blend, the pickups tend to interfere with each other in the V/V settings, giving strange artifacts and lousy volume/mix control.

This is the reason that the TF switches the pickups rather than tries to kludge a workable V/V/T arrangement. I've been telling people to do this for a very long time if they must go P/J.

Now that FMIC does this on a high-end sig model, people pay attention to my point. :rolleyes:

10. Mike Sorr

Interesting way to put that. I LOVE the idea of PJ, but I have encountered only a few stock PJ basses that capture the best of both worlds as intended. Some people just hate the idea of combining that pickup configuration. I currently have a MiM active P Bass special that has been heavily modified. I've owned it for a while one and I still find myself gravitating toward my Standard USA P Bass. Like I said, I love the idea... It sounds like you're not a fan of the whole PJ thing. Curious to know why.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Because going passive V/V/T with a P/J (and that's how the vast majority of them are rigged) simply doesn't work as intended. It's nonexistent engineering.

The net effect is to just screw up a perfectly good Precision trying to get P/J pickups with matched outputs they were never intended to have and then trying to get them to blend, which they can't do cleanly and in some cases not at all in V/V/T.

It's just a series of bad compromises, misplaced priorities, inept engineering and dumb moves.

If you really want a P/J, get the best pure Precision pickups and the best pure Jazz bridge pickup, and switch between them instead of kludging a bad unique P/J set that's a bad P and a bad J even before ineptly trying to passively mix them, creating a bunch of weird peaks and cancellations.

Then you can have a good P sound and a good J sound and maybe an interesting P+J sound.

That's the Tony Franklin's solution.