Fender J, 1971, Closet case...returning from the

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by RZang, Jan 15, 2014.

1. RZang

RZang

This is a bit of a repost here - listed this last year, took it off the market while it was on loan to a guy (check pic), and then held it for apparently no good reason. Anyway, here it is...

From Original Post.....Ok, it took time to admit, but May,1979 was the last gig I had, and it might be time to consider another career. Bought this ($300) from a music store in East Rochester, NY, in 1971 and played actively throughout school....right up until graduation. Then job, kids, etc, and the bass got closeted. All original Fender Jazz Bass, resoldered in 2008 when I thought my son was going to rock, and then back in the closet since.

Everything matches (had to, I bought it new and didn't touch it) but photos are all available in the link. Good news, relatively minor wear, and nothing substantial. Bad news, I was an idiot, and throughout the 70's chose to wear an obnoxious ring and belt buckle. (no judgment, we all did it) Nothing tragic, but the effects are visible in photos.

Link to photos here: Pics of 1971 Jazz Bass

All in all, pretty damn good condition, and there is almost no wear on the neck, frets, etc. OHSC, both covers, etc. are present and looking pretty good. Most of the Fender name snapped off OHSC, but better than average case.

Just want to find a home for this- it's got a great classic Fender tone, and needs nothing (ok, needs new strings, the originals are a little....dated) Would prefer an in person New England deal - I'll meet anyone from NYC North and East - $3500. Can discuss shipping for other areas in the 48. No international except Canada or Rhode Island.

2. DJS

DJS Supporting Member

I can just about throw a football into East Rochester from my back yard.

What an amazing piece. Good luck!

3. Wwolof

Wwolof

Clean machine!

4. dmp

dmp

Nice looking bass. Just for my own education, why is there no date stamp on the neck?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Damn! That's insanely cool.

7. oli@bass

oli@bass Supporting Member

8. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Tony levin borrowed your bass? So cool!

9. Btone

Btone

LOL!

That bass looks amazing.

10. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Our basses (and their owners) are the same vintage. I have a 71 P fretless burst w/ rosewood neck, also paid about $300. Would love to have cousin J, but kids & college etc. Good luck with sale (must be hard, tho...)

11. Lizardman743

Lizardman743

Wow. Dream bass stuff right there. Block inlays and all...

12. RZang

RZang

Tks for looking. The pics show all the markings that are on the neck. The name stamps are exactly the ones that should be there, but there never was any date stamp...or if there was I'm not finding it. If there is somewhere else I should be looking, lemme know and I'll snap a pic of it. As the original owner it was never a question....

13. RZang

RZang

Pretty sure the shop is gone now...it was Propiezi (sp?) music on commercial st. HOG was in its original location in the strip mall next door to their current location...parents wouldn't let me buy a guitar from the hippie store...

14. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Major understatement right there :D
    Would love to hear what that guy played with it.

15. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

WOW JUST WOW BUMPALISCIOUS...

16. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

FWIW, there's no date stamp on the heel of my '71 either. It's not that uncommon.

17. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

I owned an olympic white '71 with maple and blocks. It's at the very top of the list of basses I wish I never let go. This one is going to make someone very happy!

18. djc430

djc430

Is this bass still for sale?

19. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Here's one more '71 owner with no date stamp on the neck. ...no date stamp anywhere! The serial number's right.