1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender J body with a P neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rich McCoy, Dec 13, 2013.

?

what is the most best body/neck combo??? Multiple choice!!!

Poll closed Mar 23, 2014.
  1. Precision body, Jazz neck...

73 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. Precision body, Precision neck...

61 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. Jazz body, Jazz neck...

56 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Jazz body, Precision neck...

33 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. Carrots are for the birds...

27 vote(s)
    12.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Hi all.
    Anybody have a Fender J with a P neck?
    Show us some pics.
    I think I am gonna do it.
  2. bolg55

bolg55

I have a Mark Hoppus signature which is a J body, P neck- and reverse P pickups... I love it- feels great and sounds perfect for my bands style of music.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Sorry Rich, but I had to go with "carrots". I may be a fan of Jazz bodies and necks for myself, but that's just me and apparently a few others. Also, in my line of work I've had to undo the wear-and-tear caused by people repeatedly using devices and equipment that aren't suited to their body-types. So I understand how important it is for each of us to use what we are most comfortable with.

If memory serves correct, you're thinking of putting a P-neck on your Blacktop Jazz, yes? I say do it. If it feels "right" in your hands, awesome! If not, live and learn.
  4. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

Precision body, Jazz neck. That combo, with an added J bridge pu and a rosewood fretboard, makes the Super Fender.
  5. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

I'd love a P body with a neck right in between P and J width. P's necks are a little too chunky and J's a little too narrow. Does anyone manufacture a neck like that? Warmoth doesn't offer it as an option.
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

7. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

There are lots of Ps out there with J necks. That means somewhere out there is a ready supply of P necks and Js without necks. Right?
  8. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Right! I want Maple with black block...please!

Personally like the P necks. Having the removable controls of a jazz body to make simple changes is sweet. No cracking of said PG at output jack.
    Get a P Jazz guard and a J and you now have options...
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

10. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

+1,000
    I am obsessed with P/J's
  11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I do!

Here is my 2012 hand stained ash Jazz body with a 2012 50's Roadworn P neck. It is my #1 4 string.
    They don't come any bigger and chunkier than that.
    As my hands get older I can not play skinny necks. I am shopping for a nice P neck for my other Jazz now.

[​IMG]
  12. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

thats sexy
  13. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Thanks, it's a bad cell photo and doesn't show off the nice wood grain at all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I built it with new Fender parts from The STRATosphere.
    I added the 4 band audere preamp and DiMarzio Area J pick ups.
    All Fender but the electrics and just the way I want it for about $1000
  14. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Carrots: Thunderbird body with a baseball bat neck.
  15. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I have a 'Jazz' of sorts with a P-style neck. I love it.

[​IMG]
  16. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Attached Files:

17. Radio Face

Radio Face

My #1 bass is a J body, with a P style fretless neck 4. I like wide necks but can play any necks regardless of width.
  18. Jonithen

Jonithen Supporting Member

I'm going to be doing this in about a week. I just got my tracking number from Warmoth, neck and associated hardware are on the way.

Coincidentally it is also replacing the fretless neck that came on my MIM jazz. I loved the idea but just couldn't work with it no matter how I tried. Might take a stab at fretless again in a few years, right now I'm just sick of fighting with an instrument I'd rather be playing.
  19. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Although I voted p/p, I rocked a 90's fender jazz bass body w/ a 70's fender p neck for years; great bass; still miss it...
  20. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

After playing this setup I have discovered that single coil jazz PuPs sound best with roundwounds, a high mass bridge would probably be good too. Split P PuPs sound best with flats.
    I do like the P neck on the J body. I never really liked rounds on my old P-bass because of the tone I got, but the rounds were easier to play. With this bass I get the playability I like, with the better tone of rounds on jazz bass single coils.
    It's pretty cool.

Rock on!