Fender Jaguar Bass Shielding Buzz Solved

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowNloud1, Jan 4, 2014.

1. LowNloud1

LowNloud1

I had a buzz in my active circuit. It is now as quiet in active mode as in passive mode thanks to this YouTube vid:

Totally eliminated the buzz and the guy did a great job showing how to get it right the first time.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Nice to hear, I personally hate humming basses and love Fenders, so I have done my share of shielding jobs. Nothing better than a bass that only makes noise when you want it to, it makes you enjoy playing that bass even more.
  3. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

After weeks and weeks of procrastination I decided to give this a shot. WOW wasnt hard at all! It's super silent now more so then my other basses which I already considered silent haha I now see myself doing this simple job to all my basses for the rest of my life. By the time I decided to take the pic I had already begun to re-screw the electronics so although not visible the inside of the cavities are shielded as well.

[​IMG]

Funny side note: I go to home depot asking for copper tape. I get sent from electrical to hardware to plumbing back to electrical. Finally the first lady I asked backed in electrical, who was totally flirting by the way ;) , says ok lets go look it up cause I think you just made that up lol She finds something in her database and she says its only available online sorry. It was this huge 50ft roll super thick industrial tape. Then she shows me the screen and says will this work? Its called slug and snail barrier. We check it out, she opened it there for me, and I'm like for $7 its worth a shot. Worked to perfection! Who would of known I'd find it in the Gardening pest control isle haha

[​IMG]
  4. Grissle

Grissle

Is the adhesive conductive? Did you test it?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

It is; I tested Slug Tape myself when I bought a roll in case I needed it. I placed a few pieces end-to-end, overlapping each and continuity tested using a multimeter. If it gives piece of mind, you can tack-solder the joints, same difference. Just as good and hella cheaper than ordering from Mac-something-or-other.
  7. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames Supporting Member

This is awesome, just ordered some slug & snail tape from amazon. Got a squier pj that needs shielded but I haven't wanted to spend the money.
  8. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

As has been stated yes it is conductive, and easy to use. I will say this though the tape is pretty wide. Most layers you see that I put is the tape being cut in half long ways. So essentially it from that roll I only used about 1ft worth of tape and can keep the rest for future use.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You can also score sheets of copper foil tape locally from stained glass supply shops. Stew mac stuff is highway robbery.
  10. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I have successfully shielded 2 Jaguars now, and a Jazz with Snail Tape
  11. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames Supporting Member

I agree the stew mac stuff is ridiculous. Its good stuff, but a bit pricey.
    This looks like a real score, and its says right in the product description that its conductive.
  12. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  13. electracoyote

electracoyote

Did those of you who followed this method apply tape and shield the entire back of the pickgaurd?
  14. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Back of the pick guard should have copper completely covering the pockets
  15. electracoyote

electracoyote

Okay, that's helpful, I think.

You mean then not the entire back, but just the sections over the pockets?
  16. DiabolusInMusic

Yes, you don't need to worry about the body, just the cavities.
  17. electracoyote

electracoyote

Awesome.

I have a nice Oly Wht MIJ from the first run of Jags. I can't play it in active mode for the hum. I'll be trying this toot sweet. Even a fool like me can run a few strips of copper shielding tape.

Thanks folks.
  18. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

The back of my pickguard was actually already covered in shielding tape when I bought the jag. The whole pickguard not just over the cavities.
  19. electracoyote

electracoyote

Bonus.

I'll be checking mine shortly.
  20. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

Getting copper foil from an art supply store can be hit-or-miss. One giant chain of arts/crafts stores told me that it is a common shoplifted item.

*cough* Tweekers!! *cough*

I then found it at a home improvement store when they were rolling out their spring-summer pest control products (slugs are very common in the Pac NW). Not sure if Canadian hardware stores carry it, though.

Great video. I check out his videos often.
  21. BassTapp

BassTapp

Whenever I see these humming/buzzing jag threads I realise I must have either got lucky, or Fender must have fixed the issue in post early 2013 models. My straight from the factory jag is probably one of the most silent basses I've ever owned.