1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Jaguar vs. Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sathington W., Aug 2, 2009.

1. Sathington W.

Sathington W.

So, I bought a Bongo. After playing with it for about 6 months, hoping it would grow on me, I've decided it just isn't my thing. I was talking to the bassist for my church, and he expressed interest in trading for it. He's been holding onto if for the past couple weeks, and let me hold onto one of his vintage Jazz basses for a week (I was out of town this past week, so I let him hold onto the Bongo a bit longer). This thing is gorgeous, but most importantly, it plays exactly how a bass should play in my hands. I have smaller hands, so the 1.5 nut width is phenomenal. I also really enjoy how it great it was for slap. Now, he doesn't seem terribly thrilled about trading the Jazz for the Bongo, but expressed interest in perhaps buying me a bass in exchange. I really enjoy the look of the Jag, but my local music shops never have a Jag bass in stock, so I haven't gotten any face time with one. I've heard it has essentially a Jazz neck. Is this correct? Does it slap similarly to a Jazz? How about the tone? Amongst all its versatility, can you achieve a Jazz-esque tone?
    And finally, are there any other features or lack of aforesaid that I should be concerned with?
    Thanks for any and all input.
    -Scott

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

Jags are cool, they sound like a Jazz. They have a strange active setup though, with various switches and stuff(I don't know how it works).
    They play nice, but tend to be neck heavy due to the styling. I'd go with a regular old Jazz instead.

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

4. Sathington W.

Sathington W.

Thanks. I think I've had enough of active basses for awhile... and I'm really interested in these q-tuners. Does anyone know if they could substitute standard Jazz pups?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LCW

LCW Banned

I have a jad bass new coming in the mail, i allready worked out a deal and the neck is getting sold to a buddy for 200$

they are nice basses i just cant stand the nut width

7. bstringkyle

bstringkyle

8. funkout5

funkout5

i would go with the jazz

9. gratt

gratt

normally i'd give the classic tone + function > look argument, but in this case i think the jazz looks 1000x better than the jag anywho!
    :D

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gravity Picks
    This.

11. Sathington W.

Sathington W.

Okay, so due to my great experience with the Jazz, and overwhelmingly popular demand, I think I'll do some more Jazz research at the local music shops.
    I also would like to know if these q-tuners would fit in the cavity for a Jazz pup. Any ideas?

12. bassvi

bassvi

I have a beautiful white Jag, the neck feels ultra thin to me (I play mostly 6's) and it is great for slap. The one thing that frustrates me about this bass is the lack of a blend knob for the pickups. I don't get why they left that off, it would have allowed for more precise tone shaping. It's also slightly neck heavy. The Jag is a cool bass but you probably will be better off in the long run with an American Jazz, IMO.

13. Linkert

Linkert

I would go for a SB Jag. Way more tonal options than the standard jazzer-.-

14. David Jayne

David Jayne

No, but these will:
    http://www.q-tuner.com/bs.shtml

15. vin*tone

vin*tone

Wow. A lotta Jag haterers here. FWIW I love my Jag- one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played.

16. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I can understand him not wanting to trade his vintage Jazz. But since he offered to buy you a new one, I'd go check out as many American Standard Jazzes that you can find, and pick out the one you like best.

17. Sathington W.

Sathington W.

What would you all say to buying a MIM or a used Geddy and dropping in those Q Tuners Neodymium pups? Any thoughts?

18. DanFold

DanFold

I have a Jazz (62 reissue with the stacked pot's) and a Jag. The jazz i have has a better tone for what i'm doing in my band... But the Jag comes close and has some nice switches so it is far more versatile...

Unless it's a special Jazz and has the tone your looking for... Jag all the way!

19. Woofenstein

Woofenstein

My thought would be to use the standard Jazz pickups long enough to know whether you like them or not. Is there something specific that you believe the Q tuners will fix? IME a MIA Jazz bass is a VERY flexible and great sounding bass w/ stock pickups.

20. TimmyBoomBoom

TimmyBoomBoom

I love my Jag, but as others have said, they have a lot of tone setting which some may not like, but I do. The main thing I didn't like about was the noise/hum when I first bought it. However, there's a great thread for the past about adding extra shielding which does the trick. Necks are a personal preference, though.

21. lug

lug

The Jag can be played in completely passive mode with traditional tone control (Active/Passive switch). Plus it also has a series/parallel mode that most jazz basses don't (but pups only switch on or off, no balance option). It uses the same pups as the Geddy Lee bass and has approximately the same neck profile. Think of it as a Geddy w/o the Badass bridge but with an active pickup and series/parallel mod.