1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Japan P-bass 62 or mexican P-bass 62

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2meterbassman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Hi there,

if this is a repost, please delete it, admin.

The made in japan Fender p-bass 62 in sunburst and the mexican Fender standard p-bass cost the same in germany.

Had anyone the chance to compare them directly?

Thx 4 help
  2. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

I can't speak to the Mexican-built ones; but my Fender Japan 62 is beautiful!

I switched out the pickguard, tuners, and added a rosewood thumb rest... Threw in a set of Lollars, and now it's one of my favorite basses!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386466041.920368.jpg
  3. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

The Japanese Fender production tends to be pretty killer. I have always been impressed with these instruments. While the Mexican production has gotten much much better, I am not sure it is at the same level.
  4. millsbass5

millsbass5

I've always been partial to the MIJ basses. Especially the MIJ basses from the 80's. This may be a bold statement to some, but, I think the MIJ basses from that era are better than the U.S.A. basses of the same period. According to my hands n' ears, the Mexi basses seem to be a notch below. But, everyone has their opinions.
  5. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Japan mine weight less than 9 pounds after I change the tuner to hipshot ultralight. I plaid mim basses before and I can't get the action to be as low as my japan bass
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Do both import use the same materials for the build? If that's the case then, play both and pick a favorite.
  7. michaelgallay

michaelgallay

Definitly mij or cij. Just make sure to buy the pb 62-us. Be cause there is two version of each model, but the cheaper one does not have the same wood and pickups
  8. lebaron

lebaron

Can´t go wrong with either, but based on my japanese 62 jazz, compared to my amri 62 jazz , amri 57 precision and a friends new mexico classic 50s p, I´d go with the 62 japanese precision.

the build quality is good on all of them, finish-wise the classic feels more "modern" and plastic compared to to the Japanese, even if both the Jap and the Mexican has poly? finish. I might mention that my Japanese 62 is my "safe" recording bass. If for some reason any of the other bases wont sit well in the mix or act up for some other reason, the Japanese has always worked out perfectly.
  9. lebaron

lebaron

oh and a heads-up, the japanese basses has non-reverse big-leaf tuners vs more vintage correct reverse long-stem on the classic 60s.

Just read that you was comparing to the mexican standard, in that case, without a doubt the Japanese 62 precision IMO.

Good luck! and post pics when you get it :)
  10. Gbass75

He's right about that one... precisely why I switched mine out!
  11. Carl_D

Carl_D Guest

I don't see a "Thumb rest" there.... I see a Tug bar. A Thumb rest would be on the E side, would it not ?
  12. Relsom

Relsom

It's not fair to compare the Japanese model with the MIM. I would favor the CIJ/MIJ over most MIAs.
    I have a MIJ 62 RI P-Bass that I absolutely adore. Yes, the tuners are not correct but that's ok with me.
    I have a CIJ Noel Redding Jazz that has the long stemmed reversed tuners. The tuners don't matter to me either way, but the necks on both are fantastic.
  13. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

I'm just curious, but what makes the Japan necks better exactly??
  14. Relsom

Relsom

Possibly my perception, but the CIJ/MIJ necks just seem to be more compact, slim, and dense. To me, more playable.

Not to say you can't go into a GC, handle a half dozen identical MIMs and find that one that has that certain something that speaks right to you.
  15. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

16. Relsom

Relsom

My 62 RI was made in 1990. I don't know what the specs were for that year but it does not have reverse tuners but does have the extra strap button on the back of the headstock. I have no clue as the body wood. It's a 3TSB.

None of the examples from the links in the post above show the extra strap button.
  17. Gbass75

Aww... come on... you undermeant what I stood!

D'Oh!!!

Yep... ya got me... tug bar, it is.

;-D
  18. bassplace

bassplace Supporting Member

What wood is the MIM body?
  19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

If it was me? MIJ all the way.
  20. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Thanx a lot for your help, guys!