Fender Jazz 5 Rebuild!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kmay, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Kmay

Kmay

Hey dudes.
    So, I picked this bass up on cl a week or so ago...it's a fender jazz bass (5 string) and is loaded with lace sensor pickups.
    I bought it knowing it had what the guy said was a broken truss rod (and yeah, I got it pretty cheap, Lol!).
    Well, a couple days ago, I grabbed up a warmoth neck on here for it. Block inlays and all, super excited to get it in the mail.
    Anyway, I have a couple questions, the guy I got the bad from didn't give me the neck plate and screws with it. Is it the same neck plate and screws that are on the 4 string basses? Also, I don't think the new neck comes with string tees (the things that you put the string under after the nut, but before the tuning keys).
    So, do I need to get those?
    And what about the neck plate and screws?
    Also, is it going to "de-value" the instrument any to have an after market neck on it?
    Also considered painting it with a custom theme...is this considered "blasphemous" in the fender family?
    Any advice, cautionary statements and such is much appreciated.

Pics:
    uploadfromtaptalk1354979379680.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1354979403099.jpg
  2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

You live in Nashville? The music stores around there should have everything you need to get this bass back on the road. Oh, by the way, it is not blasphemy to mod your basses. Good luck.
  3. bassteban

bassteban

A bolt-on neck is quire reversible, so no biggie to me. I wouldn't pair a B&B neck w/that mid-90's, no-PG body, but that's just my aesthetics pref
  4. Kmay

Kmay

Hey guys, I got my neck in today, and to my distress it is too wide to fit the existing neck pocket on the jazz. I understand this is my fault, I should have measured, but I didn't.
    So, how much damage am I looking at to get someone to fit it to the body?
    Or....how much work will it be for me to fit it?
    Will I have to move the bridge on the body? Will it affect the pick up placement? Should I remove the extra body material all on one side, or split the difference and take half from the top and half from the bottom?
    If I do take all from one side, which side: top or bottom of the cavity?
    Thanks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

An easy route job. Get one if you don't have one already, read some of the relevant threads here, and have fun.
  7. Kmay

Kmay

So, no router. I sanded the finish on the neck down and used an xacto knife to "whittle" the neck pocket out big enough for the neck. Fits nice and tight! Lol!
  8. Kmay

Kmay

Ok. I have finished. Lol!
    Here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's cool!
  10. Kmay

Kmay

Ok, maybe this will bump the thread a bit. I just now got to play the bass, since I didn't finish the "build" until late last night. Everyone was already asleep, so I couldn't plug in and wake them up. So, I have discovered that it sounds good, but the low B string is lacking in punch and definition. It makes an audible sound, it's just not as loud as aggressive as the other strings. Is this due to the pickups? I don't know much about lace sensors, but I know I don't see many jazz basses with them...maybe this is why fender quit using them? Any help please. Btw, brand new battery. And the "B" string is new, the other four are used. I know, but it's all I had laying around. Lol!
    Any advice or tips?
    Thanks.
  11. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves

Not sure about the Lace Sensors, but my '97 Jazz V is picky when it comes to string brands. Some are great, others not so much.

Just from my own experience, the older 5 inline Fender necks/headstocks don't lend themselves to a very "tight" B-string. I've played some of the newer Fender 5's with the 4+1 headstocks and the B is different, much more defined to my ears.

Others may disagree however.. :p

EDIT: I love the look BTW. I'm dying to get my hands on an old Jazz Plus or something similar to what you scored!
  12. Kmay

Kmay

I got mine for a steal. I think. I grabbed the loaded body and original neck (it had a broken truss rod) for cheap. Tuners and all. Bought this neck on here (it's a warmoth). Just put it together. This does have the 4+1 headstock. I'll try a new set of strings tomorrow. Also read on some older threads to "bend" (for lack of a better word) the B string over the saddle so it makes a hard turn and not have that "rounded" look coming over the saddles.
  13. Kmay

Kmay

Also, might try adjusting the pickups some...
  14. Kmay

Kmay

Also, what kind of strings and gauges work best for yours?
  15. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Duh.... i should've noticed that! ... hahaha

The strings i use are your basic D'addario Xl's.. EXL170-5 (on the packaging); gauge is .45-130. My bass just seems to really like these.
  16. Kmay

Kmay

Success!
    Omg!
    Success!!!!!!!
    Lol!
    New strings and pick up adjustment!
    Thanks for the tips guys..the pick up adjustment was rally 90% percent of it. The .130 helped with tension or sloppiness on the B.
    Really happy now!
  17. Kmay

Kmay

Now, if someone can help me with what these knobs do. Lol!