Fender Jazz 5 String Spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john nam, Nov 28, 2009.

1. john nam

john nam

Does anyone know what is the string spacing is on the 2009 MIM Standard (not Deluxe) Fender Jazz 5s? Is it the same as in previous years?

Also, does anyone know if there are pickguards that fit Squier Jazz 5s?

2. Aspidites

Aspidites

3. vision

vision

I have the same question but mine is from 04. I would guess that it's 18mm, but I need to know exactly what it is because I'm thinking about getting a new bridge for it.

4. vinxbass

vinxbass

Not sure what the spacing is on the MIM's, but my '08' MIA Fender Jazz V is 19mm.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Are the American Jazz 5's full 19mm? I was under the impression they were a hair shy of that. Closer to 18.5-18.75. The MIM's are around 17mm.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

The MIA bass 4 or 5 string has adjustable saddles so it is very possible to get real close to 19MM. I think the Roscoe Beck RB5 is the only natural 19MM bass Fender made.

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

Yeah, I think the American Standards (P5 and J5) are in the 18.5mm area, with additional slots on the bridge that you can alter the spacing slightly.

9. john nam

john nam

Really, the MIM 5s are 17mm? Even for the 2009 standard Jazz 5s? Can someone confirm this please?

10. vinxbass

vinxbass

I'm going on what I was told here on TB. I then maybe wrong. I do know that you can adjust the spacing to be narrower of farther apart.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Huh? I've not seen a MIA with adjustable saddles. Furthermore, Most modern 5 string Fenders are 18MM, not 19MM. The RB is the notable exception.

12. guy n. cognito

This is incorrect.

13. john nam

john nam

I know the deluxes have multiple slots on each saddle that can expand the string spacing, but my original question was about the string spacing on the '09 MIM Standard Jazz 5s, anyone know for sure?

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

MIA basses have grooved saddles that allow side to side adjustment, it is possible to have your string almost off the sides of the neck! The strings will not line up over the pole pieces though.

15. guy n. cognito

Oh, well, that's not the intent of these saddles, and they aren't consider "adjustable". Spacing on the Fender is 18MM, and the grooves allow for manufacturing inaccuracies.

16. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

My squier affinity Jazz 5 is 18mm, the Deluxe Active Jazz V is 19mm. All MIA's are 19mm, I'm not sure, but MIM's might be 18mm. I played one MIM (2002) and it was 18mm. In the first pic below, I installed the 19mm bridge from a Deluxe Active V, string spacing was perfect. I don't know why they don't make them all 19mm...:rollno:

MIM Jazz V pickguards will fit Squier Affinity JAzz V bodies. There will be a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the neck and the pickguard, though. Some of the screw holes will be off just a hair, but you can get the screws in w/o drilling.

pics of a MIM pickguard from WD Music on my Affinity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

My '05 Standard Jazz V is 18mm. Just measured it.

[​IMG]

18. vision

vision

Well...I guess there's no consensus on this since there are so many different answers in this post. FWIW, I just measured the spacing on my '04 MIM Jazz (center of string to center of string) and it is 18mm.

[​IMG]

19. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Wrong, my s.baily jazz 6 has 19mm spacing straight from the factory, the fully adjustable bridge can go up to 19.5mm (20mm would be too much i guess). 19mm string spacing at the bridge is perfect for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. sjb64

sjb64

A good way to measure the string spacing on a bass is to measure from the left side of the B string saddle to the left side of the G string saddle and divide the measurement by 4. This will give you the exact string spacing from center to center.

On my 2000 USA Deluxe 5 string Jazz Bass, the dimension from the B string saddle to the G string saddle is 2 7/8" or 73 mm. So that makes the string spacing 23/32" or 18.25 mm.

On my 2006 MIM Deluxe 5 string Jazz Bass the dimension from the B string saddle to the G string saddle is 2 11/16" or 68 mm. So that makes the string spacing slightly under 11/16" or exactly 16 MM.

All Fender 5 string Fender Jazz Basses have the pole pieces on the pickups spaced the same as far as I know. They are designed to be used with a bridge that has a 2 7/8" from the center of the B string to the center of the G string.

I changed the bridge on my MIM J-Bass to one with 18 MM spacing from basspartsresource.com and it cost around $20. It's your best value. The distance from the B to the G string is 2 13/16" or 72 mm.

WD Music has a bridge with 23/32" string spacing that is perfect for Fender 5's for around $70. It measures 2 7/8" from the B string saddle to the G string saddle.

I like this new Hipshot Vintage style bridge, the correct string spacing to order is .708" Here's a link to that bridge:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=212

Think of it this way...

Fender 5 string Jazz Bass string spacing at 18.25 mm falls right in the middle of Musicman 17.5 mm (11/16") and Sadowsky 19 mm (3/4") 5 string spacing.

21. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    If the newer MIM Jazz V's are 18mm, then it's a new thing (at least newer then early 2000). In the past they were much narrower. I know, I owned one and measured mine when I had it. I'd be hesitant to adjust the strings away from the pole pieces though in an effort to widen the spacing.