1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Jazz '77 Pickups possibly replaced?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkJunk96, Jan 6, 2013.

1. FunkJunk96

FunkJunk96

This is my first post on here...

My high school recently received a generous donation- A fender American Jazz '77. Black body/Black pickguard, real beauty (says the amateur).

However I was wondering why the bridge pickup seems like it has extra space around it (like a large slot).
    I'll post pictures in a while, but for now maybe an answer? I was wondering if it's normal or if any previous owners changed the original pups?

-Thanks ahead of time. :)

2. DJJazzV

DJJazzV That's impossible! They're on instruments. Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to seeing the picture. My 76 Jazz has a little extra space around the bridge pickup too. Certainly doesn't bother me though.

3. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

I have a 1977 Jazz with a little extra space around the bridge pickup too. It also has some extra space around the neck pocket.

4. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie-Spector Bass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups
    Bad router jobs in a lot of the 70's basses I have seen. My 74' had very wide router bridge pup hole and a router slip at the corner. Must have been a Friday bass. :/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DJJazzV

"Friday bass". I like that.
    My '78/'82 3 bolt neck "transition period" has a perfect fit bridge pickup rout, that's why I'm curious about why my '76 has a larger rout. I would certainly like to rule out that anybody messed with the rout afterwards. If it's somewhat common, then I'm totally fine with that.

7. FunkJunk96

FunkJunk96

Yeah, I certainly will follow you there. It doesn't bother me when I'm playing and when the cover is on, so I'm not majorly concerned. I was just curious if that was a sign that the pickups had been replaced in the past (I'm still new to this all, and have a lot of questions).

However, since it seems others are in this boat, I know the previous owners didn't destroy it or anything.
    Either way, here are the photos. I hope they turn out ok because I'm uploading them with my iPhone.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1357534142.985113.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1357534180.422435.jpg

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

youre fine. totally normal for that era.

9. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

No actually this bass can no longer work properly or be fixed. I'll buy it for parts for $60.

10. FunkJunk96

FunkJunk96

Haha, you're funny. Nah, I was just wondering if maybe the pickups had been exchanged. Had they been, I'd totally invest in some vintage ones to restore it to its former self, that's all.
    Well, thanks everyone. You can expect more questions soon I'm sure.

11. DJJazzV

Awesome bass! That's almost exactly what the routing looks like on mine as well.

12. FunkJunk96

FunkJunk96

Thanks! I'm really into it, but at the moment it's in need of a nice cleanup, tuneup, and a new nut. Im pretty sure I can solve the nut problem by ordering one from Graphtec, but after that I'm sending it to a more experienced luthier.
    Hopefully after all that, I'll have a nice jazz bass to perform with.