Fender jazz 8 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

So lately I've been thinking about getting another used mim jazz and converting it to 8 string with the warmoth neck and bridge and nut swaps. I've seen a few of these on TB and like the look. But i searched YouTube for hours and can't find anyone playing one so i can actually hear it. Any one have audio/video of an 8 string jazz?
  2. pfox14

pfox14

I think a Jazz neck is too narrow for an 8-string even with really tight spacing.
  3. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

He's saying he'd use the Warmoth 8-string neck. It's much wider.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Go for it ...

Use The Schaller 8 string bridge ...
  5. MrTaff

MrTaff

It's not that much wider, standard Fender size heel & the nut is 44mm, probably not much different to an AV P. The ESP LTD 8 string is 45mm nut which still felt a bit tight to me.
  6. awilkie84

Given that the strings are doubled up like a 12 string guitar, the width is good at the nut. In fact, the width of the 8 string warmoth at the nut is the same as their 5 string nut. The heel was never the problem on an 8 string or even a narrow 5-er. Besides, they're meant to be played with a pick. :p
  7. Nephilymbass

yeah this is what the look like. I just haven't been able to find anyone actually playing one to hear it. Wife is due in 11 days with our second child so this will probably have to wait until summer. Still trying to decide if I should just get a MIM fender used for around $300 and swap the neck, bridge and nut, or if I should just build everything with warmoth parts. Warmoth charges an arm and a leg for finishes, a don't mind doing a simple finish. Im thinking black with a BWB pickgaurd.

Attached Files:

8. awilkie84

I plan on picking up a lefty MIM Jazz from a local store for $199 & then talking with Warmoth about an 8 string right-handed neck with a paddle headstock & no tuner holes. I want to do my own design. :)
  9. Nephilymbass

Id be all over that if i were you. I can't find right handed ones that cheap. I would think the lefties are pretty rare
  10. awilkie84

The local shop's had the same 2 in stock for 8 months. I'm just waiting for their next big sale.
  11. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

I played one a couple years back at Bass NW. I'm not sure if it was a Fender body with a Warmoth neck or a full Warmoth job, but I loved it. Sounded huge, comfortable body, though the Warmmoth necks are pretty beefy. I don't find that an issue, but others might. Much deeper than say the current Hagstrom 8-string necks if I recall correctly. I've definitely thought about getting one made myself, though I'd choose different pickups, as I'm not a huge fan of jazz pups.
  12. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

I almost did this, but P style. I bought the Waterstone TP8 and I'm glad I did. I still want one of those Warmoth necks! Do it!