Fender Jazz A string Break angle

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ezmar, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I have a Fender Jazz, and I'm running into some problems with the break angle on the A string. I know this is a common issue with Fender Jazz basses, but I don't really know what I could do to fix it, other than putting a tree on just for the A string. It's already wound down as low as possible, and just today, as in not before, I noticed that there's a buzz on the open A string, that I'm fairly sure is due to the break angle, since it disappears when I touch the string past the nut.

Is there anything I can do, or is there a tree that I could have installed? I hope the nut isn't too low, since I just had the nut replaced, and the action seems to be just fine.
  2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    it sound more like the slot in the nut is not properly done. A little touch up would most probably fix it.

M
  3. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Yah, Break angle "issues" would be subtler than a buzz. It would mainly be sustain.
  4. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

The issue probably correlates with the nut being recently replaced. So what they said above.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ezmar

Ezmar

By recently, the nut was changed several weeks ago, and I just noticed the little buzz today. I'm taking my Cab in for a speaker replacement tomorrow, so I guess I'll take in my Bass too and ask for a Diagnosis. What specifically would the problem be? if the groove is too wide, then wouldn't another new nut be required?
  7. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    when you push down the string with the finger after the nut you´re increasing the tension/pitch on the string and the buzz will stop. It´s like tune the string to a higher pitch. To see if a string tree will stop this you´ll have to install it.

On the new american deluxe I see they use a tuner with an integrated string tree. I don´t know if those can be bought from Fender.
  8. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Had the A built up on the nut of my Jazz, was buzzing before and after. New strings with more wraps helped a lot.
  9. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I took it in, and it was agreed upon that the break angle was probably the culprit. There's not much I can do in terms of windings, since it's about as low as it can go. I'm thinking of putting another tree on the headstock to keep the A in line. I'm not worried about the resale value of this bass, since I'm hoping it will be my workhorse for many years to come; I was playing it tonight and it just sounded so good. But I digress.

What would be the best strategy for getting a string tree for the A string? Should I just get another regular Fender Jazz tree and put it between the D and A? or is there another better option?
  10. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

11. BGF

BGF

I've seen a bass with 2 string retainers. Looked a bit odd but it worked.

It was located between the A & D string about 3/4" below the A tuner. Kind of centered between the E & A tuners.

Good luck!
  12. Ezmar

Ezmar

Is that the best solution? just another Standard one? is there an alternate solution that would look better? I'm not too concerned about Aesthetic, but I'd like to weigh my options. You know, to see what I'D like best. :smug:
  13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Education opportunity, Why is the break angle important? What exactly would one improve by increasing the angle?
  14. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

I checked with them...they gave me the line about it being a propietary item, and that it was not for sale separately.

I think it's referred to as the strong arm retainer.
  15. BGF

BGF

Well, another option would be to use a 3 string retainer like the type used on 5 string basses. Not sure if the strings will line up properly but it would be 1 retainer vs. 2 round trees. I see some at Bass Parts Resource. Here's the link.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_stringguideshipshot.htm
  16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I had the same problem with my Fender Precision and when I installed a new string and put more winds, the open string buzz went away.
  17. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
  18. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
  19. Ezmar

Ezmar

What do you mean by more winds? Mine is already wound down to the bottom of the post, and the break angle is still almost zero. My tech GUESSED that MAYBE it has to do with the tuners that fender used on this bass, being a little higher at their lowest point. Although that's a guess. But I'm highly inclined to believe a tree would solve it, since as I mentioned, there's almost NO break angle.

And about the 2 string retainers, are there any pictures of a 4 string with two standard ones? And is the string spacing different on Fender's fivers?
  20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Meaning that I have the string go around the post as many times as possible. You can have the winds go all the way to the bottom, if you don't have the string go around enough there aren't enough winds on top to supply enough pressure.

I used to cut my string the length of two tuners past the one I was stringing. So if I'm stringing the A I'd pull the string taut and cut it at the G. Now I go 3 tuners or more. So I pulled the string taut to the end of the headstock and cut it. This helped tremendously. I now have 4 winds around the post instead of only two, and the break angle while it looks to be about the same IS just ever so slightly sharper. It might not be visibly noticeable but it makes a huge difference.
  21. Ezmar

Ezmar

I still don't understand... I don't see how I could get more windings. I don't cut the strings at all.