1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

fender jazz bass 1995

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitzan22kk, Sep 7, 2013.

1. nitzan22kk

nitzan22kk

Hi !
    I'm new in this forum so sorry if i'm braking any rules...

I'm buying a new bass and i have a hard time to decide between 2 specific bass guitars:

1. a used fender american standard jazz bass 1995-the owner told me it is supposed to be some kind of reissue of 1961. (is that true?)

2. a new fender american standard jazz bass 2012

which of those guitar is better? are they even at the same level?

Thanks !!
    nitzan22kk
  2. sanderic

sanderic

I would take the newer model for these reasons:
    Graphite reinforced neck
    String through body bridge
    Better bridge
    Rolled edge fingerboard

Over the years I've owned a 73,76,89,and 97 jazz bass. The ones made since the late 90s are the best in my opinion. About the older bass, unless the seller is selling you a 61 reissue, what he may be talking about is the body style. In the late 80s Fender slightly changed the body styling to incorporate a 22 fret neck, many players refer to this as the "boner" bass. I would avoid this model as necks and body's are not interchangeable and, in case of catastrophic damage, irreplaceable. Around 96, and I could be wrong about the dates, Fender went back to its "vintage" styling, with 20 fret neck and the traditional body. Somewhere in there, they began to use the upgrades listed above.
    As far as choices go, with the newer bass, I know what you've got, and it's good. As for the older bass, it could be great, but you, or he, is not giving us enough info to give you an answer.
  3. sanderic

sanderic

I just read the op again. A 95 may have these upgrades.
  4. micgtr71

micgtr71

I have a 1995 and it has the graphite reinforced neck, string through, and the better bridge. I am not sure of the rolled edges, though the neck plays great. At 18 yrs old, the bass has held up extremely well.

The only thing better about the 2012 is the weight of the tuners. The 95 had those big f style ones and they were heavy. The new Fenders balance much better.

I would go on price. If there is not much difference, I would go with the 12. If there is a large gap in the prices I would go with the 95.
  5. nitzan22kk

nitzan22kk

thanks to you both!

the 1995 owner told me that the bass serial number is n586222

does that help you get a better view?
  6. sanderic

sanderic

I have to agree with above, although the tuners are not a bother to me, you will have to weigh price against condition etc. unless its a great price on the old one, go with the new one. And don't forget to factor in the case, Fender cases are $130.00.
  7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

I own both mid-90's and 201X Fenders. Both generations are, IMHO, some of the best that Fender has ever made. Play them both, decide which feels better to you and buy it.
  8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

A mid 90's Fender would have most of these options.......