1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Jazz Bass american deluxe neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaga, Jan 6, 2013.

1. spaga

spaga

Hi,

If I had a Fender jazz bass neck, of the american deluxe 2012 series, would it fit a standard jazz bass body?

My bigest concern is that an American deluxe neck has 21 frets, instead 20 like a standard.

I have a project in mind, of getting a custom body fit to one of these necks, cause they are stunning :)

2. spaga

spaga

If someone can give me the dimensions of the neck pocket of an american deluxe jb, that would be a very helpfull.

thx

3. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

The American Standard and Mexican standard are both 4 bolt neck pockets. The American Deluxe neck pocket is a 5 bolt so at the very least you'd have to re-drill the holes and not sure how that would line up against the existing 5 holes. I think in the mid 90's the american deluxe had a 4 hole neck pocket. Not sure if that 5th hole on the dlx neck would protrude out of the standard neck pocket or not.

4. spaga

spaga

Thanks for the reply mikecd1.

Those are good points which you brought up there. I would say that, to fit an ADlx (American Deluxe) neck ( which has 21 frets), whats needs to be really done is, that I would need to rout the neck pocket further to the bridge direction ( so as to fit the neck heel and the extra 21st fret- without altering the scale length which the neck fretting is made for).

interesting....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RockBobby

RockBobby Supporting Member

If you decide not to do that, I am looking for that particular neck. The 21 fret neck makes the scale on the standard bodies too long, just as putting a 20 fret neck on a Deluxe USA body makes the scale too short. There is an allparts neck that will fit your standard P or J body that is block & bound. Please get ahold of me. Thanks, Bob

7. awilkie84

awilkie84

You're going to need to move the bridge closer to the neck to compensate, or route down into the body more to move the neck closer to the bridge.

8. spaga

spaga

RockBobby, In fact I had bought a neck made by all parts, has block inlays and binding. it has a great feel, good neck.

9. RockBobby

Oh, I thought you had the deluxe neck. I have the allparts neck also and live it. I just have to crank the bridge so far back the string have a 90o break angle.

10. RockBobby

If you don't have a flex neck, can you get one?