Fender Jazz Bass American Traditional

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drienvyftigcent, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Hi, I am looking for a new bass at the moment and I found this second hand bass called the fender jazz bass american traditional. The description of the guy who sells it says that it's american but I don't know anything about this type of ''traditional'' jazz bass that I've never heard before and I read somewhere that it was a bass with some parts being from mexico to cut the cost back in 1990. My question is if anyone knows more about this traditional jazz bass and if it is completely american or if it has mexican parts too, I also don't really know what kind of parts it has (what kind of bridge, pick ups etc.). The guy that sells it asks €675 for it and says the value is at least €1275. Here are some pics, that I didn't take(the serial number would indicate that it's from 1990 but some also say that it's actually from 1999).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Here's a site where you can look up the serial number.
  3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

The serial number says N9. 1999. Given that a Google search indicates that these were made in 1998 and 1999...well, there you go.
  4. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

I've got one. Mine is also a N9 (1999). They were made for export, mainly to europe I believe. They came with a one piece white pickguard and strat style knobs. Mine, like yours and many others have been changed out. The pickups are MIM, old style ie, same width front and rear. Ive had mine routed out at the rear and fitted Vintage 60s.
    Good bass but mine has developed a bit of a 'ski ramp' above the 12 fret - any fixes?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Why does it say made in us when so many parts are mexican then? And do you think it's worth 600 bucks?(or euros)
  7. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

I think they were basically MIMs and the MIA bit was allowed for some sort if export reason. Assembled in America?
  8. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

9. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

10. Drienvyftigcent

Drienvyftigcent

Do you know what a second hand one could be worth right now?