1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Jazz Bass--Coaxing Out a Precision Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ch willie, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ch willie

ch willie

I'm a longtime Ric player, so when I bought my first Fender bass a year ago, I had a hard time deciding between the Jazz and Precision.

The smaller nut width and neck, the versatility of tones, the history of the Jazz Bass--all of these things prompted me to choose the Jazz Bass.

One day, I'll buy a Fender Precision Bass to do what the Jazz Bass cannot.

But for now, I've figured out a way to set the EQ on my amp so that I can get that classic percussive thud of the Precision.. Of course, I can't get the panoply of tones a Precision can get, but I've gotten close to one of the tones I like best.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad I chose the Jazz Bass. I know that one day, I'll have to buy it a Precision to hang out with.
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

You might want to consider a push pull switch and wire it to also go in series as well as parallel. A Jazz makes a mighty thump in series
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

solo the neck pickup to get the classic 50s single coil p-bass tone.
  4. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

Yeah, frankly I think this is an under-appreciated mod. I'm definitely going this route on my next Jazz wiring project.
  5. fabubass

fabubass

The S-1 switch, that were on Jazz's a few years ago, were awesome. Don't know why they discontinued those.
  6. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Also, some pickups are much more capable of pulling off a somewhat convincing p bass tone. The Dimarzio model j neck pickup solo'd for instance.
  7. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Agreed 100% on the SI switch - I have them on both of my Jazz basses, and they pretty much stay in series...

- georgestrings
  8. mongo2

mongo2

I find the J's bi-pole pickup sounds significantly different than the SCPB's single pole pickup, especially in the initial attack.
  9. nysbob

nysbob

When I first started playing fenders, a spent a year or two trying to get my jazz to sound like a P bass, then I started carving them up and installing P pickups (later fender would do it and call it the Stu Hamm) in between the J's. When they started making P/Js in earnest, my troubles were over.
  10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

THIS^^^^!!!
  11. Mike M.

Mike M.

One of these days I might try this on one Jazz bass in particular that I own. I have a mutt of a '73 that in addition to a new neck has a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's. Of the four Jazz basses I own this one has the "lightest" sound to it. It's really a great sound on it's own and I do like the tones it provides. But compared to my other Jazz basses it's on the weak side as far as output.

On the other side, when compared to my other Jazz basses I think (in my very humble opinion) that when solo'd, the SD neck pickup does the best job of approximating a P bass tone. I also think that when the bridge pickup is solo'd that it does the best approximation of a Jaco-type tone when compared to my other Jazz basses.

So as it stands it does have it's strong points despite the output being a bit weaker compared to the others.
  12. Jaco D

Jaco D

Did this to a jazz fretless a few years back. One of the best (not to mention one of the cheapest) mods I've done to that axe. Nice thing is no one notices the mod (visually) to ask "what's that switch for" questions.
  13. ch willie

ch willie

Great mod suggestion. It's something to think about.
  14. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Can anybody point me at a wiring diagram that incorporates an S1 switch AND has Master Volume/Blend/Tone, instead of VVT?