Fender Jazz Bass Five String vs. Four String Case

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsegovia, Jan 11, 2014.

1. jsegovia

jsegovia

Hi, folks! I have a 1999 Fender Jazz Bass V with a case that's in bad shape and worse, smells something awful! Heavy pipe smoke or something worse (or better, depending on your perspective. I guess). I'd like to get a replacement hardshell case - I've put my five string into the case for my four string Jazz Bass and it seems to fit perfectly.

My question is can I buy another Fender hardshell case for a four string Jazz Bass and use that with my old Jazz Bass V or might there be any problems doing that - should I order a case specifically for the Jazz V?

Thanks very much!

Jesse

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Treat it a few times with Lysol and Fabreeze. Had the same deal with a Lakland I received in trade. Nasty smelling case!

3. MusicBear

MusicBear

There should not be any problem if you buy a standard case specified for a Jazz Bass. (The rectangular cases have clearance to fit both 4 and 5 string basses easily. You may want to do a test-fit before you buy if the case is shaped and snug-fitting.)

There is often a slight difference in length between Jazz and Precision Bass cases - Precision Basses are slightly shorter because the body is not as offset. A 5-string Jazz Bass may not fit.

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

My P5 fits perfectly in my Fender 4 string chainsaw case. It even has the notch for the G tuner.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. guitarflinger

guitarflinger

7. jsegovia

jsegovia

Thanks, unfortunately the local GC doesn't carry the very nice SKB Pro44 case my Jazz Bass came in. I'll have to take my Jazz V to GC and see if it fits in the Fender P/J cases they do carry.

Does anyone have any big preference for either the Pro44 or the Fender P/J cases? Personally I really like the SKB case.

Jesse

8. jsegovia

jsegovia

Thanks. I was able to get the stink out of the bass with Fabreze and I tried the same thing with the case, did it multiple times and left the case sitting open for months, but the case still has the obnoxious smell. It's not so obvious in the case but when I put the bass back in the case it comes out thinking again. I now leave the bass out of the case all the time no matter the weather and I noticed today the action is going high on the higher frets! Ive got to get the action adjusted and get a case for the bass right away! :(

Jesse

9. jsegovia

jsegovia

10. MusicBear

MusicBear

If security is ever an issue in your travels, get a case that is plain on the outside - no Fender logo...