1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Jazz Bass FSR/Special Edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamsesh, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Jamsesh

Jamsesh

I have a Fender Jazz Bass FSR/Special Edition in candy apple red right now, but I don't know anything about it and I can't seem to find anything about it. So if somebody could tell me anything about it from wood, to electronics, to original price, to re-sale value, that would be great. The serial # on the neck plate is 00310. Sorry no pics at the moment.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    re-sail ... I like that.
  3. Jamsesh

Jamsesh

corrected
  4. Jamsesh

Jamsesh

5. w33nie

w33nie

Aren't they in ash with a natural finish?
  6. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Yeah I thought they were natural ash, maybe this is a different FSR? or maybe its not FSR at all? I love those ash jazzes.
  7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Different FSR, earlier FSR. Great basses either way. The ash/RW FSR was the first Fender to ever actually impress me in terms of sound and feel, not to mention price.
  8. Craig_S

Craig_S

All FSR means is someone came up with enough cash to persuade Fender (Mexico only?) to produce a specific product for them (color, neck, model...). It has nothing to do with color or wood choice. The most common ones are the Guitar Center/Musician's Friend blonde versions. Having said that, I have never seen any other color, myself.

We could approach Fender to do a Talk Bass exclusive Lake Placid Blue, aged white guard, Jazz or P-bass run!!
  9. Jamsesh

Jamsesh

10. awall

awall

I have a blue one. I doesn't say FSR on it anywhere. On the back of the headstock it says Special edition. It matches the specs of the blond one from Musicians Friend.
    [​IMG]
    Al
  11. awall

awall

Your Red one looks like the MIA Hot Rod FSR. Definitely not the same as mine. Looks cool.
    Al
  12. pyrohr

pyrohr

What you have is a 75RI MIA jazz bass, It is a FSR (factory special run). 200 units were made all destined for europe (bass made solely to be sold overseas)! 60 basses went overseas and 140 stayed in the USA. The bass is made of ash and spec's out to 1975 specs. The bass in 2002 sold for $1500 new. This is the only other "true" 75RI MIA bass made by Fender outside the regular production MIA 75RI jazz. What makes it special is CAR w/matching headstock was not offered in 1975, it was only offered (CAR) from 63-73. Btw my serial # is on the back of the neck plate and is VERY CLOSE to you serial#!:)

[​IMG]
  13. Craig_S

Craig_S

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

The Hot Rod FSR bass was made for Guitar center and not of any particular year. It has a badassII bridge, SCN pups, a 4 bolt neck. It is basically a parts bass.
  15. pyrohr

pyrohr

The blue bass in the link above is a 70's jazz bass RI, thats why it was marketed as such. It takes different parts from the 70 and puts them all together. These basses originally came in blue and white, they also could be had in a very light blue, sonic maybe. Here is the original hang tag from the CAR bass.[​IMG]
  16. Basdyret

Basdyret Gold Supporting Member

This is not a Fender FSR - here's the info I have read and heard about FSR, if somebody can correct me, you're more than welcome:

The FSR basses were made in 4 colors; CAR, LPB, Olympic White, and Sonic Blue, about 250 basses in each of the two first colors and 200 in each of the two last colors. That's about 900 total. Serial number was on the neck plate and consisted of "00xxx" - there was no mention of RI or "special edition" anywhere on the bass.
    They all had matching headstocks and came with vintage cases + 70's candy (old "spring"-style cable, ashtrays, etc). The CAR and LPB ones were '75 RI models, while I believe the Olympic White and Sonic Blue ones were 70's RI.
    As Pyrohr says, they were made for the European market, but the main part of them didn't make it here, and a few owners now try to move them on for insane amounts - just saw one guy trying to sell his Sonic Blue one for $4,000 :eyebrow:
    I mean, come on, it's an almost new 70's RI in a nice color...

I had an Olympic White one I took in in a trade (the best deal I've ever done, but let's leave that for another thread), and it was a very, very nice bass, I just didn't need another Jazz, as my '69 has always done a great job for me.
    I sold it for $2,000, but as Oly White and Sonic Blue are not as popular colors as CAR and LPB, my estimate is that a CAR one can currently sell for around $2,500 in Europe (well, Northen Europe, anyway, which is the market I know).
    It may take a little while to sell, though, because of Christmas coming up and the impact of the financial crisis.
  17. Craig_S

Craig_S

Every Fender bass made is a parts bass. :eyebrow:
  18. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!!

Only FSR I know of is the Natural Ash one they have on Musician's Friend.

I grabbed one off of these forums.

[​IMG]

Love it.
  19. pyrohr

pyrohr

:rolleyes:
  20. Basdyret

Basdyret Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, that's the MIM FSR, which as you say is currently being sold by MF - the OP is talking about the MIA FSR, which was only produced in a very small number, as I described a few posts above.

A little confusing, I can see that...