Fender Jazz Bass Japan 80's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Macher, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Macher

Macher

Hello,

i've been looking for a used Fender Jazz bass USA for a while in the ads but they seem to be pretty hard to find in montreal....

I found a Jazz Bass made in Japan in the 80's but haven't tried it yet. its 600$

I am a professionnal player and need a good jazz bass for studio and live shows. I'd just like to know if there are any issues with these basses and if it is worth to upgrade the pups? Can they be compared to USA instruments?

I know i will get 90% of my answers when i'll try the bass this weekend, but it's always good to have info from owners of USA and Japan fenders

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I've never played a MIJ '80's Jazz, but I used to have a mid-80's Squier P-Bass that was MIJ. It was a really good bass. They were well-made, and had great tone. I sold it because I had my eye on a '62 MIA Re-issue P. I still kind of kick myself for getting rid of it.

I've read various threads here on TB where the guys were giving a lot of love to the '80's MIJ Fenders. $600.00 seems a little high to me, but then again, I'm not up on prices from those years. As for quality, however, I don't think you'd have any problems there.
  3. GBGLJE

GBGLJE

Not a bass but I had an 1985 MIJ Strat that I consider myself a jackass for selling on ebay about 5 years ago. I think about that guitar all the time.
    :crying:
  4. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    I've got an 87 MIJ Jazz and it's excellent. I did replace the pups though (Dimarzio Model J's). The tightest neck pocket I've ever seen. Nice rosewood. It is a 62 style and it has cloth wiring and the whole 9 yards. $600 is not high for a good one. I paid $700+ but it is like time warp new condition.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Macher

Macher

I just bought the Bass! It is a 1990, but she 18 years old so everything's fine!!! :smug:

It has been played a lot and is a good piece of wood with a lot of sustain. I don't know a lot about Fenders pickups, if it would make a difference to replace them.
  7. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Cool- lets see it! Here's mine...
  8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

just bought the Bass! It is a 1990, but she 18 years old so everything's fine!!! It has been played a lot and is a good piece of wood with a lot of sustain. I don't know a lot about Fenders pickups, if it would make a difference to replace them.

Nice score. It was made at the Fujigen Fender factory in Japan, which was reputed to have put out some of the finest quality Fenders of that era. I wouldnt scrap the pickups unless you are really unhappy with the sound. If you decide to change them, the US vintage are definitely worth a listen imho.
  9. jpamaranto

jpamaranto

hi guys, this is a fender bass guitar from japan..i think this was made between 70's or 80's, it has a badass bass II engraved on it..what model of fender is this? can someone help me...:)thanks guys!!! cheers!!!

Attached Files:

10. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

I cant speak for the 80's Jazz But back when I was a kid my parents bought me a MIJ Fender P-bass. I loved the neck. When I got older I replaced the pickups with Dimarzio's

Just play it before you buy it. Im not sure but I think MIJ Fenders were hit or miss back then .
  11. Road-Dog

Road-Dog

I have a MIJ Fretless Jazz Special 1986 ,that I bought back then and it is an outstanding instrument. The build quality is great and it is a smooth playing, great sounding bass. I get compliments from other bassists on it all the time and would not hesitate to purchase another.
  12. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

I have an early 90's Fender MIJ Jazz that was literally run over by a truck (case did exactly what it was designed to do) and is still playing great! Only big problems I've had in 20 years were a defective volume pot that squealed like crazy (during a gig no less!), and a high fret that I only noticed when trying to bring the action down as low as possible, that my tech made go away with a well-placed hammer strike. Truss rod adjustments are also a pain as I have to remove the neck...luckily I haven't had to touch that in over a year.
  13. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Never had a MIJ Jazz, but I have a late-80's MIJ Precision that I bought new, still have, and has been problem-free. The best neck and lowest action of the five basses I currently own.
  14. AHDBassist

AHDBassist

Badass bass is the kind of bridge that's on it as for the bass itself, I have no idea lol.
  15. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

I've owned two MIJs (a Jag and a P-Lyte) and have been very happy with both of them. Hope you enjoy yours.
  16. rickwebb

rickwebb

MIJ Fenders are very well-made instruments, period.
  17. getbent

getbent

I definitely second that emotion. I've been playing the same '88 MIJ Jazz for over 20 years, and found an identical '89 on Craigslist, and they're amazing, balanced, great playing instruments. I dropped some Duncan pups in my #1, but the stock ones in #2 are just fine, although I did upgrade the pots on both of them (no problem with the sound, but to get the knobs to stay in place better).
  18. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

I may be wrong but that does not look like a Fender body (i like the looks of it though). Looks like someone may have put a Fender neck on it? Also like was mentioned earlier. Bad Ass is a brand of bridge. Fender did use those on some of there basses though. My Geddy has one on it.
  19. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

Nice zombie thread.