1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender jazz bass questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xkomo, Aug 23, 2013.

1. xkomo

xkomo

First of all I would like to say that I will soon buy my first jazz bass. So I am doing a research about which model would be the best for me to get.
    What do you think about the new american vintage series? Do they worth?Anyone tried them?

I like the 74 better (opticaly) but whenever I read a comparison between the two they write that the 64 sounds better than the 74.

Do you think that the american standard is worse than the vintage series? Does the 64 sound better, and has better woods than the std?

Sorry for all those question!
    Thanks!

2. davidjackson

davidjackson

I think this is going to be a case of the Princess and the pea for a newbie to Jazz basses. Yes there will be differences but to be honest the big difference will be the fact you are playing a jazz bass. Don't stress too much - go for the one you can afford and that you think looks the best. You will enjoy playing it all the more.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320

I'm happy you can afford such beautiful instruments, anyway, they're quite different soundin'

The American Vintage is a real gem in a way, but the sound stays very "typical", so bit trebley and rich in presence, if you can get me

The American Standard is now less different than before, if compared to the American Vintage

CS pickups are lower output and very defined, so the bass confirms a more traditional approach, even if with a proficient HiMassVintage stringthru system bridge and precise ultralight machineheads

I'd say go for the American Standard if you want to stay more versatile and hold a secure resale value instrument, whenever forced to dismiss it or some

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. xkomo

xkomo

And how about the american special and the deluxe?

Some say that the special doesn't worth anything... others that it is just fine and others that it ROcks!!!

Do you thing that the deluxe model sounds-feels-has the vibe of a Fender jazz???

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

You can't go wrong with the new am. std. Fender jazz bass. here is mine:

[​IMG]

7. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

The Deluxe has Noiseless pickups which have a different tone than the traditional single coil jazz tone. I generally like prefer single coils more.

8. xkomo

xkomo

Changing the pickups of a deluxe, with a pair of custom 60s singles or a pair of fralins, would be a wise or a dump action???

I insist on the deluxe because (as I read) it is superior than the standard, finer woods and better finish...

9. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

10. ncapone

ncapone

Try looking out for a late 90s-early 2000s American Standard. They are better than the newer ones in my opinion. You can get them for a lot cheaper too.

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

The mid/late 90s ASJB's are different but not better. They have chunkier necks and usually they are heavier than the new ones. No big difference soundwise.

Here are my 1995 american standard jazz basses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

I wish they made my USA Deluxe in this color! Hot!

13. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

I have a deluxe qmt jazz with different set of noiseless pups than the ones on current deluxes. And mine sound great. But plenty change their deluxe pups to nordies or fralins.

At that price point, I rather buy an instrument that will not require modification.