1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Jazz Bass Special - Circa 1984-87

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bullitt5135, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

After searching the TB forums for a while, I didn't see any threads about my particular bass. It's a Fender Jazz Bass Special, MIJ circa 1984-87 -- purchased a couple years before Duff McKagan made them famous. I bought this when I was in high school in 1986 for around $350. I had originally ordered one in metallic silver, but impatience took over and I decided to grab it in black (in hindsight, a good decision). At the time, Geddy was playing the black Wal, and my bass had a similar look. It has a Precision body and a Jazz Neck. The back of the neck is matching black lacquer. P-J pickups with the cable jack in the edge instead of the top surface. It's in really good shape given it's age and ratty case, with only a few minor dings and scratches.

As a kid, I never got good enough to make it out of my buddy's basement, but I'm hoping to change that. I got away from playing over the past 20 years, but I've recently decided to pick it up again. I've only just "heard" my bass "for real" for the first time... having just purchased a GK 700RBII with an Avatar B212 cab. I'm looking forward to getting to know it better.

If you have one of these babies, I'd love to see some pics. I know they also came in metallic white, silver, and red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius Supporting Member

Nice bass...I had one way back in the 90's that I picked up used (and abused)...it was originally red, but had been stripped and was then natural, had been defretted and had been re-routed for a J/J. Actually wasn't really a bad bass, but the slots really weren't the best (the guy had wood puttied it). Traded it way back when towards a Yamaha BB1000 (which was sold when I moved up north to Washington state). Not a bad bass at all - I'll pick up another one eventually..!
  3. BassBob2112

BassBob2112

I had a black one that I bought new about 1989. I think $400 bucks maybe. It was awesome and played wonderfully.

I played the hell out of it for about 10 years maybe. Then got married, had kids never played, and hard up for money I sold all my gear.

I kick myself for ever selling it. It was black and played and sounded great. I didn't know the things had sort of become 'collectible'. When I sold it (maybe 4 years ago?), they were going for around $250-$300 bucks on Ebay. I think I sold it for $300 bucks with a nice Fender hardshell case.

Again, kicking self. I finally decided to get back into playing a few months back and really wish I had it.

I had a GK800 RB with 4x10 + 2x10 GK cabs. Not that I was a big Duff McKagan fan, but I just happen to have the same setup as him and could perfectly imitate his sound if I wanted.

Hold on to that Bass !!!!
  4. bommer

bommer

i hope you know your playing my dream bass.
    if you EVER, EVER, EVER decide to sell that, pm me.

well enough of my grieving, beautiful bass!
  5. Catbuster

Catbuster

That's an epic bass. I wanted one bad in the late 80s. I had a P at the time, and din't buy one. I so wish I had one now.
  6. bassteban

bassteban

My first *good* bass was a white J Special, w/the all-black neck(some have/had natural-finished backsides). GREAT basses- IMO a huge factor is the TBX tone control, which sounds to me damn near active, though it's not. I'd love a fretless one of these guys.
  7. Gasman

Gasman Supporting Member

I've owned five of these over the years. I have repeatedly posted on TB- these are the best basses ever for the money. Exceptional build, dynamite tone. A mint condition one is really extraordinary.
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I had a fretless a few years back. I bought it after playing a friends bass which was a fretless jazz special neck on a jazz body. I always felt like these necks were more of a B-width, or at least much flatter than the neck on my jazz bass. Still, a nice bass to play. I ended up selling it when I picked up my fretless P since I preferred the maple board on the P and really only used the P pickup on the jazz special any how.

Can't seem to find any solo pictures, so here's a few mixed shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers

Do want. Did they come factory with brass nuts?
  10. bassteban

bassteban

Yeah, I thought these had B(1 5/8" nut)necks as opposed to the typical Jazz 'standard' 1 1/2" nut.
  11. OtisRocks

OtisRocks

I have a fretless Jazz Bass Special (E serial #). Kind of an off white color with all black neck and headstock.

Plays and sounds great but I would like to get a humbucking version of the bridge pickup.

The nut measures 1.55" on my calipers and is definitely not brass (looks like black plastic).

Has a black Schaller roller bridge that looks like it is stock.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on cheap ways to spice up the look would be welcome.
  12. pcollin

pcollin

Yes, I have one of the many "brothers" of your bass. Serial Number 00001945. It's black on black and black. I named it Pearl. I bought it new in 1986. She's a special bass. I will never sell it. I use flats on mine. One of the best basses I ever owned/bought. Seriously. Great tone, feel, fit, etc. A few light scratches/scars but don't we all 'em after 20+ years of playing??
  13. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

Here's mine:

[​IMG]
  14. onlyoneZ

onlyoneZ

I have all 3 varieties of the Jazz Bass Special. The passive JBS fretted, I bought new back in 87 or 88. The Power Jazz Bass Special I bought in early 2008, and the fretless JBS, I bought in late 2008. I absolutely love the necks on these. My dream bass would be one of these with a blue-quilt maple top, but I know they never made such an animal.

[​IMG]
  15. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

They came in some rare blue-green color at the end of the prodection IIRC

And if it hasn't been said. Duff McKagan used these for a long time.

I had a chance to buy a white one with the natural neck, I kick myself every day over it.
  16. 80'sRocker

80'sRocker

MAN do I wish I kept mine! Real nice bass
  17. dave120

dave120 Supporting Member

My JBS is the only Fender I kept around over the years. It was and still is the best playing Fender bass I've ever come across, period. And it also sounds the best, to me. It's usually the bass I try and emulate with most of my other basses sound-wise.

See some pictures of it here:
    Jazz Bass Special

It hasn't been my main bass for a while, but my main bass does have Jazz Bass Special pickups in it.
  18. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

Here are a couple more pics, including a close up of the original bridge. I believe the nut is black plastic @1.55" as stated by a previous post. Strings are Rotosound Swing Bass 66.

I'm really psyched to hear all the positive comments. It makes me happy that I've held onto it all these years. There's way too much sentimental value attached to ever part with it. I've always thought it had a really nice, versatile tone. Of course, it's the only one I've owned, so I've never been able to compare it side by side with anything.

Great to see everyone else's in the other colors as well as fretless!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Not past tense:D the guy is still rocking them today:bassist:
  20. dave120

dave120 Supporting Member

He sure does...

I didn't even know this model existed until I saw him playing them. I was always majorly turned off of Fenders because I hated the pickguards. I've warmed up to them nowadays but I wouldn't touch them before I saw this one that didn't have it. They look so much better, I wish all my Fender style basses could look that clean without pickguards.

I'm also a huge fan of the 3 way switch. I rarely blend any pickups. For me it's either on or off most times and the switch makes it much easier.