1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Jazz Bass SUPER 55 Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PBASSTONE, Dec 21, 2012.

1. PBASSTONE

PBASSTONE

I didn't see too much information on these pickups so I thought I'd share some pictures of the set I picked up. I haven't been able to test them out because the bass they are in is not finished being put together.... enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Look like EMG manufactured those. Look really cool. Have you heard them before? What made your decision to purchase these?

3. PBASSTONE

PBASSTONE

I liked the idea of a split coil. That's pretty much it. When I plugged in the bass to test the pickups worked... no hum what-so-ever. And that is with the bridge off and no neck. Can't wait to get this project done.

iiipopes likes this.
  4. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

how about a picture with the pickup cover off (assuming it comes off), so we can see the guts?

7. PBASSTONE

PBASSTONE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

hmm; both the dimarzio area J and the fralin (which are both takes on the same idea, a "vintage"-sounding split-coil) use a steel bottom plate to add output and presence to the sound.

as cool as that fender looks, i suspect the dimarzio area J might still have the edge here.

9. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

I decided to go with the Area Js over the 55s because of the staggered magnets on the Area Js. (I hope to have them installed soon).

I might consider the 55s in the future, but I'd like to play a bass with them first.

10. LowNloud1

LowNloud1

I like them. Put them in my Frankenbass. They are balanced from top to bottom, giving even signal strength across mids and upper notes, something I was looking for, for 90's tunes.

11. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

These are great pickups, especially for the price.

They are well rounded and mid focus.
    I had this in my Fender Jazz Deluxe 4 that i'm working on and they immediately blew me away.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I just sold a set that I briefly had in an unfinished project. They are really a great pickup!
    They have the "Fender vibe" that a lot of aftermarket pickups don't have. But they are also noiseless with plenty of output power.
    They have the modern tone, but aren't TOO scooped (as opposed to the UltraJazz).
    They are brighter than the Fender Noiseless or SCN, but not in a bad or harsh way.

Why they stopped making them, I have no clue. They are killer pickups.

iiipopes likes this.