Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madskiluv, Mar 4, 2014.

1. madskiluv

madskiluv

Hey Guys,

I´ve got the chance to buy a Fender Jazz from the 70´s for a reasonable price (I think).
    The precise dating of the bass is what confuses me a bit. The seller has bought it from another guy who bought it from a music store where it was sold as a 75´But the serial # is 353xxx which is 72/73 as far as I know? I figured some of you guys must know something about that :) . I´ll post some pics.

Thx in advance

Mads
  2. madskiluv

madskiluv

3. Dragan

Dragan

remove the neck and you ll see the date stamp on the heel. that should solve your pain.
  4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Definitely an after-market bridge on there. Can you get the guy to show a pic of the end of the neck and the neck pocket? That will tell you for sure.
  5. madskiluv

madskiluv

Ok, thx guys! I´ll try and see if i can get pics from the end of the neck.
    But the serial could be from 75´as well?
  6. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    check the pots to be fo sho but it isnt a 72 or 73 cuz they had 4 bolt necks. I have a black 73 and its seriel # is 326xxx. Alot of times the serial # thing is just an approx because they often didnt go in chronological order and just grabbed whats in the box at the time or the bass was set aside and finished later. The neck could of been written in or stamped or completely left off during this era. Pot codes will tell you when she was basically headed out the door.
  7. madskiluv

madskiluv

So do you know the average market price for a bass like that (with the after-market bridge that seems so obvious now that you pointed it out :)
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

74 or later.
  9. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    A pristine ALL original 73 4 bolt can fetch 3500. The 3 bolts seem a little less desirable but have seen really nice 75s for like high 2s(2600-2800). Since it isn't all original and sunburst is the LEAST rare color I could see it garnering a couple(1800-2300)...depending on condition. ..
  10. madskiluv

madskiluv

Hehe, ok thx. Not the crazy good offer after all then ;-)
  11. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

sure is hot lookin' tho
  12. madskiluv

madskiluv

13. madskiluv

madskiluv

with a new pick guard that is...
  14. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

That bass has a '67 serial #, but the decal is the "TV" logo which didn't appear until '68, and the tuners have the "R" next to the Fender stamp, which didn't appear until 1972ish. Natural finish wasn't an option in the '60s, and wasn't done on alder, so it's been refiinned. Pickguard is a replacement. It's a mix-matched parts bass.
  15. madskiluv

madskiluv

Ok thx man, admire your knowledge