1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Jazz Fretboard choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 2, 2014.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I'm looking to buy a Fender Standard Jazz Bass (MIM). What are the major differences between rosewood and maple? I'm leaning toward a lake placid blue with maple because I like the look, but what are the sound/feel/care differences between rosewood and maple?
  2. garp

garp

There are a few billion “rosewood v. maple” threads here. As is frequently uttered at TB: The search tool is your friend.

On the MIMs, go with whatever fretboard option you fancy. As long as you do some basic, periodic housekeeping on the fretboard, neither material requires more or less maintenance. Feel is incredibly subjective, so the only way to ascertain if the difference is meaningful to you is to try playing examples of both.

I’m fortunate enough to own a rosewood MIM Jazz and a maple MIM Jazz, and am not ashamed to admit that I chose the fretboard material for the way it visually complemented the body color, not because of sound/feel/care.
  3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

+1

There is nothing wrong with raising a topic that's been discussed before, but it would be nice to see what has ALREADY been said and try to bring something new to the discussion.
  4. Asher S

Asher S Supporting Member

I have both (maple fretted, rosewood fretless, both Fender Jazz basses). The maple board is a bit brighter, and the rosewood a bit warmer. But many other factors affect the sound (string choice, set up, pickups, amplification, pre-amps etc) so I wouldn't overthink it.

[​IMG]
  5. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I do the same, I can't hear any difference between rosewood & maple.
  6. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

There you go! I'm totally loving maple boards myself right now, but I'll admit in a heartbeat it's the look!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Major Softie

Major Softie

P's look right to me with maple, J's look right to me with rosewood. The sound difference is miniscule compared to the aesthetic difference.
  8. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    The difference IS that the maple has a more treble or metallic crispness to it and rosewood is smooth and warm sounding.
  9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Maple is a lighter color therefore lighter sounding, rosewood is a darker color therefore warmer sounding. That's the logic behind the differences of those two woods. Just play whatever one looks better to you.
  10. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

A LPB with maple board is the same one I have. I love it. It has more brightness for sure, and to me it actually feels a little more responsive and lively, but that could be an illusion, I don't know. But the last few Jazzes I owned all had rosewood, and I have to say I like this one more. But it does have a lot more natural treble to it.
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman

I like the look of Maple better, especially the darker the bass body.

Here's my two beauties:

[​IMG]
  12. BassBuck62

BassBuck62

I have both. Maple Jazz and rosewood p with p/j. Love 'em both, can't tell the difference between them since they are two different sounding basses, but the maple neck looks soooo cool and I can see the neck better in the dark when the lights are low.
  13. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

I prefer Maple myself. Both my '72 Jazz and my MM Sterling sport Maple. I find Maple is a bit more snappier and punchy than Rosewood. Great if you are a slap player. If not Maple, my next choice would be Ebony.
  14. Major Softie

Major Softie

Ah, see, you've finally made the difference clear for the OP: Rosewood fretboards sound lower.
  15. Greevus

Greevus

Maple is brighter/snappier/crisper, all that. Been playing 'em both for three decades. I think the longer you play, the more you will hear the differences. It is something that is subtle. They both WORK for everything. I feel like Rosewood is 'woodier' or breathier. I attribute it to the pores. You need to oil Rosewood now and then and it seems to work better if kept clean.

I prefer the mid brightness of the maple. I still play both live in the same band.

Pick your fave color and you'll adapt. Then you get GAS and you have BOTH. Buy BOTH. Do you realize where you are????
  16. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

I can feel the difference in my maple fretless vs rosewood fretless. But really don't hear much difference if any.
  17. 30yobass

30yobass

+ 1.000.000
  18. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

IME, the board does little to the sound of fundamental notes. Maple boards tend to make fundamental notes sound a bit brighter, and accentuate the clarity of harmonics if thats something you are into (which i am). Rosewood boards give a slightly smoother tone to the fundamental notes, but make harmonics sound dull and undefined.
  19. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I see Musicans Friend has the maple boards along with the rosewood boards listed as "standard jazz bass" but I now see the FSR with the natural finish listed as $100 less. I actually prefer the natural wood finish of that. What's the difference between that and the standard jazz and why the $100 price difference?
  20. pfox14

pfox14

I just like the look of a rosewood FB on a Jazz and a maple FB on a P-bass. Just my personal preference.