fender jazz jaco pastorius Vs '62 reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Sep 8, 2004.

1. pools

pools

Big question.....which one would you choose?
    which are the big difference talking about the sound between this two models (jaco pastorius signature (not the relic with the orrible fake scratchs on the body) and the reissue '62)
    thank you for your help. :D

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

My gigging experience with the '62 RI J's is very limited but I've owned two of the Jaco Artist basses for several years. Both fretted and fretless. As I've said many times, the fretted Jaco is one of the very best J basses I've ever owned, played or heard! Right up there even with the finest vintage J's. Just a great bass. So I have no problems recommending the Jaco Artist, assuming they're all on a par with the one I bought. Good luck! :cool:

3. Hou

Hou

If you want the Jaco sound then go with his sigature bass. I have the '62 reissue and you can get the sound pretty close to what Jaco had. I think both basses have the same wood combination so maybe they sound close to each other.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

They're both the same exact bass, made on the same assembly line. Only difference is the control knobs. They both come with the same exact parts and case candy, just the factory doesn't install the pickguard.
    The Jaco use to be available in both fretted and fretless, but according to the latest Fender catalog I have, it is now only available in fretless.

My '62RI Jazz sounds killer, and it's now 20yrs old!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. De Teng

De Teng

In the end, it's in your hands and not in the exact details of the bass. Although you can get very happy of them, soundwise. ;)

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Actually, the neck profile on the Jaco Artists is different than those on the '62 RI's. When I toured the Corona factory and Custom Shop a year or so ago, they pointed out the difference to me and made a point of stating that the Jaco necks are the main difference. I believe the pickups, body, etc. are essentially the same.

8. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

So glad this came up. Not to be offensive or bombastic but, I did a post recently about how I feel Fenders are not a good value and people often plunk down the heavy duckets for nostalgia. The Jaco model is the best example of that I can give.

All due respect, but I cannot imagine why anyone would pay $3300 for a $400 instrument that was dinged-up by custom shop guys to look like the $200 bass that Jaco modified, trashed and beat the shizzle out of. At least not when you consider what you can get for the same $3300.

So having said that, I would get the reissue.

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Well, there are three different "Jacos" to choose from.

The $3k Custom Shop Jaco is, I agree, marketing run amuck.

But the production Sig models (fretted and fretless) are great basses, priced right with the US Vintage RIs, and both cosmetically and in shape a step up from the regular 62 RIs. By this I mean a much more authentic pickguard (should you choose to install it- it's more brown than red) and a thicker, more U shaped neck profile that really plays great. Other than that and the Jaco on the neck plate, it's not that different from a 62 RI. But then again it doesn't cost much more than a 62RI.

10. gabal

gabal

The Jaco original Bass (Bass of Doom), where a 62 bass no? then why have 3 knobs and no 2 doubles?

11. EddieG

EddieG

Because Jaco modified his Jazz from stack knobs to the 3-knob control plate.

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Also, I believe that the change from 4 knobs to three knobs came in mid 62, so either would be correct for that year.

13. gabal

gabal

I also belive that Jaco change the control plate for a 3 knobs one, but how? If i bought a Reissue 62, what have to do ?

I have a Japan reissue 62 Jazz Bass, and have 3 knobs......:confused:

14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Perhaps just get a prewired plate:

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_prewire_bassoption.html

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Jaco's bass of doom fretless actually was a 61, and he also had a couple fretted 60 and 61's...all were originally stack knobs. His first Jazz was a '66 with blocks and binding, so he probably already preferred the 3-knob setup when he started buying the stack knob basses.
    Also the 60-62 stack knob basses back then had additional resistors to keep bleed-over from happening to all the pots, but those additional resistors also made the overall volume output lower than what would be on a 3-knob basses. So more volume is probably another reason Jaco changed them.

Luckily though, the MIA 62 reissue doesn't have these additional resistors.

16. gabal

gabal

That said Jaco about the Bass, is a 1962 JazzBass

And there are all the basses that play:

Jaco’s Gear Through the Years
    By E.E. Bradman & Scott Shiraki

1967 Fender Jazz
    Fifteen-year-old Jaco got his first electric bass, a new sunburst Fender Jazz with binding and pearl blocks, in 1967. He strung it with La Bella flatwounds and played it through a Sunn amp in Las Olas Brass, and with the organ trio Woodchuck. It was his main electric until 1971.

Upright Bass
    Jaco’s father, Jack Pastorius, gave Jaco his first upright around the same time he received his first electric. Jaco later acquired a second upright, which he played throughout high school and until around 1974. He loved the sound but found the instrument’s upkeep frustrating. Eventually, he traded it for a 60 Jazz Bass.

1960 Fender Jazz, SN 026100

Jaco's '67 Jazz was louder, but he preferred the smoother, sweeter sound of the black '60 stack-knob with clay dots on a rosewood neck. Jaco eventually sold this instrument-refretted-to bassist/guitarist John Paulus for $425 around 1971.

1974 acoustic bass guitar

Jaco and luthier Larry Breslin co-designed a fretless, 5-string acoustic bass guitar with a high C string; upon completion, Jaco paid Breslin $500. It featured a 34"-scale neck with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with maple veneer fretmarkers, Brazilian rosewood back and sides and a spruce top. Jaco strung it with Rotosound roundwounds. In later years, the headstock broke off and Jaco brought the bass to Kaufman. He still has it.

1962 Fender Jazz, a.k.a. the "Bass of Doom," SN 64437

Like the fate of a mythic hero's mighty weapon, the original condition and final resting place of the world's most famous fretless are shrouded in mystery. Its legendary tone was well documented through every era of Jaco's career, and he himself told several versions of the tale.

According to Bill Milkowski's August '84 Guitar Player cover story, the '62 Jazz was already fretless when Jaco bought it in Florida for $90. Upon meeting Kaufman in 1978, Jaco told him he removed the frets himself with a butter knife and filled in the slots and missing fingerboard chunks with Plastic Wood, followed by several brushed-on coats of Petite's Poly-Poxy. Kaufman's first job for Jaco was to replace the peeling epoxy, which he did by using his own method of pouring on the epoxy in one treatment and shaping it with a rasp. According to Kaufman, Jaco left it in New York's Central Park shortly before his death. It hasn't been seen since.

1960 Fender Jazz, SN 57308

Jaco's main fretted Jazz Bass, a two-tone sunburst, of average weight and "very resonant" according to Kaufman. This was Jaco's main bass on tour with Joni Mitchell; it can be seen and heard on her Shadows and Light album and DVD. Its whereabouts are unknown.

Early '60s Fender Jazz, SN 82429

During his 1982 Word of Mouth tour of Japan, Jaco threw this bass into Hiroshima Bay; Ibanez Guitars then refinished it natural. Shigeru Uchiyama's photographs of Jaco and this bass appear in promotional material for the live Twins and Invitation albums, on the back cover of Invitation , and on BP 's Jan/Feb '91 cover. According to Kaufman, Jaco didn't like this bass as much as the others. Its whereabouts are unknown.

1963 Fender Jazz, SN L14769

The opening shot of Jaco's DCI instructional video, Modern Electric Bass , shows Jaco slotting the nut on this bass. The original neck was being repaired at the time, so Jaco installed a '70s Fender Precision neck on the Jazz body. This bass wound up at Albert Molinaro's Guitars R Us shop in Los Angeles and was sold to a collector with the original and the P-Bass necks.

1960 Fender Jazz

Longtime Buddy Guy bassist Greg Rzab bought one of Jaco's final Jazz Basses from the Pastorius family ** in 1994. Rzab played the bass, apparently used by Jaco during a six-month stretch of intense practicing in 1986, on Guy's 1994 album Slippin' In . "I used it on 'Lover with a Feeling,' and it was really alive in the studio-the notes and harmonics jumped out of that bass." Greg eventually sold it to a good friend-a famous bassist who chooses to remain anonymous. "It's in good hands and being kept safe."

Links:
    http://www.jacop.net/gear.html
    http://www.jacop.net/faq.html

Does he change something more, the serie-paralel, i hear something.....:confused: