Fender Jazz MIM to USA conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LPswim2009, Jul 1, 2013.

1. LPswim2009

LPswim2009

I know parts on Fender basses are interchangeable, currently I own a white Standard series J, it's a great bass guitar and has served me well however, currently the truss rod is bent inside the original neck and I've taken it to a couple of people to see if it could be straightened out. Unfortunately the previous owner had the action so high that the process is unable to be done. I had the saddles lowered and the bass intonated to compensate, I also know because of the truss rod that the life expectancy is shortened due to this. The pickups are fine and give me plenty of punch but the pole pieces are higher in the middle under the A and D string so when I play on those strings, I get a very annoying magnetic popping sound from the strings coming into contact with the poles. I feel I could get more out of it and extend its life if I switch the neck and pickups to American Standard series parts. Does anyone know if you can use USA parts with a Mexican body?

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

What is bent on the truss rod?

Pickup and string noises are remedied by adjusting the pickups or technique. If the pickups are too high, lower them. If they are adjusted properly, the a change in right hand technique will eliminate the noise.

3. rocmonster

rocmonster

Fender necks are interchangeable with Fender J or P bodies, American, CIJ, or MIM, and you can find an America neck on the bay through Stratoshpere for a decent price.

As for pickups, some MIM pickguards were routed for bridge sized pickups (MIM Jazzes had the same sized neck and bridge pickups), so if you get America model pups, you will need an American sized/routed p/g. The scale is the same, so the bridge will line up (top loading only, I believe). You may want to double check to be sure.

You can also look at MightMite, AllParts, or Warmoth for a replacement neck, with Warmoth giving you some customizable options that will buy you a superior neck than a Fender branded neck.

4. LPswim2009

LPswim2009

I believe the rod itself is bent as I feel a small hump right in the back which is under the third fret, as for the pickups, in my next post, ill take some pics to show what I mean about the pole pieces

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Hump in the back of the neck? Please describe in detail. The only thing that comes to mind is that the inlay has come unglued. This is a fairly easy fix for a professional.

7. LPswim2009

LPswim2009

Ill try and describe the best I can, when I change positions and run my thumb past third, I feel a small hump like it comes out then back to normal, I really can't describe it well considering I've never really done anything like this hence I'm asking if its possible and if it can be fully straightened, I also posted some pics of the pickups to show the pole pieces and how the bridge was adjusted to compensate, did I mention its a lefty?

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1372687434.335663.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1372687444.902162.jpg

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Photos do not reveal very much about pickup height.

Measure the distance from the top of the pole piece to the bottom of the string, both pickups. Typically, this measurement is in thirty seconds or sixty fourths of an inch. Fender spec is 4/32" and 3/32", neck and bridge pickups respectively.

Post the information and someone will help you.

This neck can be fixed. The "hump", if it is not the inlay on the rear of the neck, is extremely unusual. Please try to define this better.

9. sxaxsx

sxaxsx

I find it terribly unlikely that the truss rod itself is bent and protruding from the back of the neck. I also can't see that the previous owner having high action could have done anything to ruin the neck? :meh:
    But what do I know? :confused:

10. LPswim2009

LPswim2009

Alright thanks for the education

11. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Yeah, it's approaching impossible to bend a rod three frets in. No, I can safely say it IS impossible. That hump is another issue. So it seems to me

12. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

So it seems to the knowledgeable.

To the OP: The way a truss rod works is by compressing the neck. The rod is buried closer to the back of the neck than the fingerboard. When the (single action) rod is tightened the wood under the truss rod is compressed and the neck back bows. Relief is removed. This action will have the greatest effect in the center of the truss rod, which is approximately located around F7-8. F3 would be highly unusual.

Using your thumb, feel along this hump perpendicular to the inlay. Can you find the edge of the inlay? Try using your fingernail or a guitar pick to catch the edge of the lumber. If the glue has let go, when the truss rod is tightened the inlay will move out of the neck rather than compress the neck into relief.

13. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

As mentioned, the most likely scenario is that the skunk stripe is raised.