Fender Jazz Routing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ezmar, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I bought a 2005 Fender Jazz from the TB classifieds, and last night, I put a new pickguard on it. When I removed the original guard, there was a cavity routed from the control plate to the neck pickup. There was also a little circular hole cut in a little higher for purposes unknown to me. It was all finished, as well. This seems unusual, because I know thar many people play their jazzes with no guard.

I know it was modified, the previous owner had some Fralin Pickups installed by Mike Lull, and I'm wondering if the extra routing might have been done then, or if basses from that era had that anyway. It's not a problem or anything, I'm just curious.

If y'all'd like, I can try to see if I can post a picture, although I don't have a screwdriver in my dorm room.
  2. Mykk

Mykk

That kind of routing is normal. I don't know why there are so many variances of the same body, I have seen Fender body blanks with clean routing that would work without a PG too.

[​IMG]
  3. Ezmar

Ezmar

Okay. That's interesting. I wonder why they started routing it.

Do you guys know what that little round hole is for? That one stumped me.
  4. chef wong

chef wong Banned

I don't care for the extra routing, either.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mykk

Mykk

It might have something to do with the manufacturing process, how it moves down a line or gets hung for paint. I am taking stabs in the dark, perhaps some brilliant tone engineers found that by reducing the mass in that one specific spot it made the bass sing... who knows.
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

yup .. the round hole is a CNC hole ... MIM Standard, MIA Series and Standard Jazz basses are routed this way .. the term is 'channel routed' ... all the Highway Series J's, both 1 and ONE, the current AmSpecs, and some of the MIM Classic Series 60's Jazz the Road Worn J's, have no channel routing (or CNC hole)... some of the Squier J's have channel routing, and some just have enlarged neck pup routing ...

... I am sure I missed several, but that gives you the idea ... best to ask if you are looking for a clean body under pickguard ...
  8. Ezmar

Ezmar

CNC? what was it for?

It's not a problem at all. I was a little surprised, but I was putting a new guard on anyway. Although the new guard doesn't sit exactly flush with the control player, and you can see a tiny sliver of the routing if you look really closely. Looks fine if you're not examining it, though.
  9. David Jayne

David Jayne

I've read (here) that they are register marks(The other one is in the neck pocket). They're placed first, on the raw blank. Then all further machining operations use their position as a reference point.
    The 'channel routing' is a manufacturing timesaver- they can do everything without tool changes this way. In fact I think they probably do most of the roughing and all routing with one tool.