1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Jazz Standard V MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DonaldR, Dec 24, 2013.

1. DonaldR

DonaldR

I'm looking for my first 5-string bass. My main bass is a Yamaha Attitude (4-string) so my P-bass sound is covered. I prefer Jazz shape and neck playability. A friend of mine picked up a new Fender Precision Standard MIM last month and it was really good for the price, to the point where I'm looking to buy a new Fender Jazz Standard V MIM.

I saw mixed reviews on older MIM but new ones seem to be really good. I have no money for a USA model, so I'm eyeing a MIM and upgrade pickguard, bridge, pups and add a preamp in the future if I need to (maybe what I would do on a USA anyway). There's not a lot of new 5-string basses where I live and the used market is almost unexistant.

This will not be my main bass but an entry to the 5-string world. I will sell my 1979 BC Rich Mockingbird to finance a better 5 string in the future or maybe a modern 6 string.
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i own a '99 and love, love, love it! i found this one on CL for $300.00 in mint condition. it came with a stand, soft case, and 5 sets of strings. the original owner bought it and immediately lost interest and it sat in his closet for 4yrs. i took ownership in 2004.

the only thing worth replacing is the gawd awful Hi-Mass bridge which impeded low-low action, so i shimmed the neck and filed the bridge-saddle slots down abit! with a few truss rod tweaks,.. it plays like a boutique! (just ask my friends,... they think it's an MIA)

BTW,.. those pups sounds great, IMHO.
  3. DonaldR

DonaldR

Is it a 4-string or a 5-string? I heard than MIM Jazz V before 2011 had so-so B string.
  4. Geri O

Geri O

I have a '99-2000 MIM 5-string Jazz (and I have NO problems with the bridge on it) that I recently converted to fretless since i also have a 2013 MIA American Standard 5-string Jazz.

On both basses, the B string works fine. I do play a little heavier gauge (.050, .070, .085, .105, .135), which may be why I don't have B string problems.

And so far, I've seen no need to upgrade anything on the MIA Jazz. I wonder if, by the time you upgrade everything you mentioned on the MIM, if you wouldn't have spent the money that would have bought you an MIA model. And my MIM Jazz was pretty much fine, until I made it fretless and used the bridge pup only. It turned out to be so sensitive to hums that I installed a set of EMGs so I would have a quiet bridge pup.

Good luck with this, that's a fun set of problems to have!

Geri O
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

True. pre 2008 for sure. I picked up a 2002 Deluxe V. Was like new used and only $300. So much was great about it. Looks amazing. Neck superb. Shielding OK, but I copper foiled it to get rid of that last bit of hum.

B String in 2002 definitely So-So! And the "noiseless" pickups were the worst. I love the lack of single coil hum but tone...yech. So I set to work. Nordstrand are the best pickups in my opinion but $$$, so on the advice of TB I bought a set of Fender SCN pickups. That bass just came alive in my hands. Tone all over the place. And since neck was aready a pillar of stability and played like a dream the MIM turned into quite the bass.

Of course there was the issue of the useable but meh B string. Well it took a while but with a Graphtech nut, neck shims, setup etc. I got that to come to life as well.

So I did save some decent coin even with the mods and the MIM turned out great even being a 2002. If I had to do it again, I think i'd look for a post 2008 or so model and let Fender take care of the problems instead of me.
  6. pfox14

pfox14

I just picked up a 2008 MIM Fender Jazz 5-stringer on eBay for the half the cost of a new one. Sunburst with a tort PG and rosewood FB. Haven't received it yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on it. It is my first 5-stringer after playing 4 bangers for 40 yrs.
  7. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

8. DonaldR

DonaldR

@GeriO: MIA Jazz V is more than twice the price of MIM Jazz V. Currently I cannot justify such an investment. I already have a Yamaha Attitude which will remain my main bass for a long time: it's organic when I play this instrument!!! But I never know and maybe in the next years I will be a dedicated 5-string player and trade that 4-string for an MIA Jazz V ;-)
    @bassbenj: a brand new Fender Standard Jazz V is not too much $$$ right now. I'm looking on the used market and cannot find anything. Upgrading parts, if needed, is not too much $$$ either. Yes it will end up being same amount of a new MIA but with better pups and a preamp.
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

I bought a 2006 MIM Fender Jazz V. B string on it is actually great after I put D'Addario strings on the bass. Here's the thing, the bass had older strings on it that needed replacing, but I did notice the B string was "floppy".
    I bought XL (extra long) D'Addario roundwound regular light strings by mistake. Had a hard time putting the B string on as there was no wrapped silk end on it and it was pretty much the full thickness of the string to go around the tuner. (had to cut it shorter than I normally would as there was no way it would go around the tuner more than 2-3 times and still be able to go through the nut in the right place.
    Somehow using this string actually made the B string very much like the E string in terms of tension. Has a nice sound, you can slap on it and it's not at all flimsy.
    I bought the MIM Jazz V on Craigslist for $160. Excellent condition, no scratches at all even on the pickguard. Kind of lucky finding that.

You can also find Standard Jazz V's on Guitar Center's Used inventory. I saw one a few days earlier for $349.99. It's about $25 shipped to your door.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...-BASS-W-BAG-IN-BURGUNDY-109694469-i3562409.gc
  10. DonaldR

DonaldR

Let me know how it's playing when you receive her.