Fender jazz tone control

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stormer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Stormer

Stormer

Seeking some assistance...

I am having a bit of a problem with the tone control. When playing with the neck pick-up at 0-80% volume, the tone control offers a very wide spectrum, but if the volume is any higher it appears as if the tone control ceases to have any effect.
    Its almost as if the tone is wide open and no amount of fiddling can "add bass".

This doesn't happen when using the bridge pick-up, so I am wondering if anyone knows why....is it a bad pot? is it normal?

I recently had to change the tone pot but I used a CTS one.
  2. Cadfael

Cadfael

This normally can't be ...

The tone pot is parallel to the jack and so affects on both PUs the same (no matter how their position is).

A photo might help. Maybe you made a wiring mistake?
    But there are hundreds of "normal JB" wirings on the internet (you can compare with) ...
  3. Stormer

Stormer

I have checked and double checked the wiring and it is all correct...
    maybe I should just change the volume pots too.
  4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Just to set something right ...
    The Tone Control never "adds Bass" (see #1). Passive tone controls always cut high frequencies. So, there is no cut when the neck volume pot is 80-100%?

The setting of the volume pots always have influence on the tone.
    With the JB volume pot at "0" you have 250k in series with the (neck) PU. So, the bridge PU is much louder with it's 7k ...
    With the JB volume pot at "10" you have 250k in parallel with the (neck) PU. So, the neck has about 7k (1/7 + 1/250).
    In between you have a mix of series and parallel resistors (which also influence the sound / peak frequency).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Do you know whether you are using an audio or linear pot? That could affect the taper. Otherwise, I'd check to make sure all the solder points were good.