Fender Jazz V identification help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rizzo9247, Jul 29, 2013.

1. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

I borrowed my buddy's jazz V for some recordings and it really sounded fantastic, but noticeably different from the 2005 MIA Jazz and 1992 MIA jazz in the studio. That got me thinking, what's' different about this guy? First, a photo ( sorry only have 1 at the moment)

[​IMG]

What strikes me as odd is that he said he bought it new but it has chrome knobs and these fender stamped deluxe tuners:

[​IMG]

werent these only used on the deluxe models?

Other items:
    pickguard is a replacement, the neck pup area is routed poorly and a new hole was drilled near the g string neck pocket
    N7 serial #
    String through body
    corona neck plate
    three string retainer

So is this stock? It sounds so much more punchier than the two other MIA jazz basses in the studio all controls wide open.
  2. garp

garp

I would guess that it’s not completely stock, but close. Those chrome knobs are definitely not OEM. Can’t explain the poor routing. If it’s painted, the hole you referenced could be the original CNC guide.

My ‘98 Jazz V is stock and similar in many respects. It uses the same stamped tuners, so I’m pretty sure they weren’t unique to the Deluxes. However, my V has the regular Fender neckplate, not the Corona version.

For a passive bass, it does have a tad more “punch” than my other Jazzes.
  3. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Yeah. It looks like an American standard Jazz V from around 2000 or so. IIRC, they were still doing the 5 in line tuner headstocks at that time. As for the tuners? My Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string has very similar tuners, and that's a 1998 and it's completely stock. I'm not absolutely certain when they brought back the string through body bridge, but that's also something that came back around the same time.

The routing around the neck pickup on 90's American standard Jazz basses was very often pretty wide. I had an early 90's American Standard Jazz, and there was huge ammount of room routed around the neck pickup. I guess at the time Fender intended for everyone to keep their pickguards on their basses. And mine also had a CNC routing hole under the pickguard, too. That tends to be in the vicinity of the lower horn.
  4. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

The routing (or better term, "cutting") I mentioned is just the pickguard, the body is routed clean (albeit oversized for the single coil pup) and has that hole as mentioned. So I'm guessing all is stock except for the chrome knobs??

it does sound fantastic. Maybe I can finagle holding onto this for a while.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

That's simple enough to explain. It's almost certainly an aftermarket pickguard. Fender only offered a few pickguard options back then, and moto wasn't one of them. That's probably just a cheap custom pickguard that was poorly cut.

As for the knobs? The stock knobs would probably have been like these. Chrome knobs are really only stock on Precision basses, and not on a Jazz.