1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Jazz Victor Bailey V vs. Fender Jazz American Deluxe QMT/FMT V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basseroni, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Basseroni

Basseroni

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    I did a search and didn't see too many comparison's between these two basses. Although I've already ordered the Victor Bailey bass I was curious about the differences in sound and feel between the two basses being that they both have the gold hardware, which I love, and they're both very beautiful basses.

Has anyone had experience or own both basses and can give me a comparison between the two?
  2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

I've played the Victor Bailey and was not impressed at all. It LOOKS gorgeous, but the sound was so bland it made me put it back on the shelf within 3 minutes. The pre-amp didn't boost the "good" frequencies and the B was floppy and sounded terrible. I hope you played one before ordering it. Maybe I just had a dud... a 1700$ dud.

I haven't played the American. I hope yours turns out better then the one I played.
  3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

I've played a few American Deluxes ;) and think they are fantastic bassed. The FMT / QMT lines are beautiful basses and differ from the regular deluxe line only in looks. The VB should feel and play the same as the standard deluxes, but will have a different tone due to the unique body woods and eq settings. I've never played one, so I can't help any more.

I've been wanting a VB for some time, based solely on looks. Let us know how you like it. Shoot me a PM if you decide to sell it. ;)
  4. pyrohr

pyrohr

I own both basses as here's my take, The Victor Bailey is the Funkiest jazz bass I have ever played! I grew directly out of the funk bassist of the 70's and heard all the funk go down first hand. I ordered my VB straight from Fender and could have not been happier upon receiving this bass! The bass is very light and extremely articulate, cuts like a ginzu and remains crystal clear throughout it's tonal spectrum. As for the the FMT it is slightly warmer than the VB bass, it is also probably due to the SCN pups as opposed to the noiseless pups. Both basses are head and shoulders above the rest and should be considered if you in the market for a good jazz bass. Btw I also ordered my FMT V from Fender and loved it after it arrived! both basses like most other good jazzes will sound like *ss if the strings are dead or have bad setups. The VB does not feel and sound like MIA deluxe basses because of the body material , koa mahogany and rosewood does not sound like alder or ash! The VB neck profile is also different, it's closer to a MIM jazz neck than a MIA jazz neck.
  5. jim nolte

jim nolte

How is the VB neck different, flatter or more oval? What does the bottom end sound like compared to the FMT? Thanks, Jim
  6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Send a PM to Marwady. I'm almost positive that he owns both of these.
  7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I owned a FMT 5 for 20 minutes. Sent it back to Musician's Friend for a bunch of reasons...

1. no "f" in the "mt". Under the bing cherry color (which was actually more of a purple than a red) you could barely make out any figure at all. Lame!

2. The neck wouldn't straighten no matter what.

3. The G string saddle wouldn't allow for a low setup, and coupled with the neck bow, it was practically unplayable.

4. The amplified sound was just dead, lifeless, uninspiring. Yuck.

After that experience I'd be much more likely to order Warmoth parts and a Sadowsky preamp and build my own flamey-J for less!

Lonnybass
  8. pyrohr

pyrohr

After looking at my VB bass comparing it to other MIA basses its hard to explain the difference but there is one. The bottom end on my VB bass is nice and deep fully boosted but not as deep as the FMT V, This has alot to do with the FMT V having SCN (Bill Lawrence) pups while the VB has "noiseless" pups. Both bass have a vintage as well as modern sound due to electronics and wood choices. The FMT has a more refined sound, vintagey I would say with a pre-amp.
  9. Basseroni

Basseroni

Disclosures:
    Hmmm..according to the Fender site both basses have the same SCN pickups and preamp.

Would you say that the B string on the FMT and Victor are equally focused or do you feel and hear a difference?
  10. cave_in15

cave_in15

have you tried sadowsky??:bassist:
  11. lowstar

lowstar

if you get 7 fenders, they will all sound different, vb or fmt or amdlx or whatever. especially, concerning the b-string. i tried countless fenders of all flavours until i found the one that really had THE perfect b-string, it was an amdlx jazz (2004 model i think). the best fender 5er i ever played was a fmt, but i couldn´t dish out that much dough. that bass (the amdlx) has left my household since, though.

my point is: you gotta try the basses yourself to see how they respond and sound, plus you gotta take into account setup and age of the strings. the best bass can sound like caca if strung with old, dead strings and setup with a neck-bow like a jai-alai bat.

some of the best buys i made were basses that were set up so poorly that nobody wanted them cause everybody thought they were crap. i just adjusted them, put new strings on to try them, and when they did, i pulled the trigger (of course it helps if the music shop of your trust let´s you do all these things without giving you a hard time. i guess it helps to go shopping in the same music store for +20 years :D ).

cheers,
    lowstar
  12. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

yeah, my VB 4 has SCN pickups in it...?

I owned an dlx 4 string for about 2 months before and had it in the shop one day and tried it side by side with the VB and the VB just sounded clearer and more focused. for me, the tighter low end is better, but I prfered the top end of the dlx over the VB, just a matter of resonant frequencies in the different woods I guess? The VB top end seems a little harsh to my ears... very snappy
  13. pyrohr

pyrohr

I own a 2003 VB jazz and a 2004 FMT V. The SCN pups started aroung 2004 along with the tuner change. My VB is also a four string, the fiver didn't come out until 2005-2006.
  14. Basseroni

Basseroni

Disclosures:
    I haven't had an opportunity to play a Sadowsky but I heard one live when I went to the Temple Bar in Santa Monica, CA and saw Malcolm Jamal-Warner playing one. It sounded great but I don't have Sadowsky money.
  15. Basseroni

Basseroni

Disclosures:
    I'm going to hit up a lot of music stores in Los Angeles today. Hopefully I'll find the Victor Bailey 5 and the FMT V during this search so I can compare them. I'll let you know how or IF it goes. ;)

Thanks for the input, guys! It really helped a lot.