Fender Jazz with Sadowsky Outboard Preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBogart, Jan 22, 2012.

1. TheBogart

TheBogart

I have a nice 2001 MIA Jazz Bass. And i use it with a Sadowsky Outboard Preamp.

So, my question is:

How much close is my tone to a real Sadowsky Jazz bass?

Anyone have experience about this?

I know that Sadowsky have a superior construction, but i am talking tone wise.

Just give me your 2cents.

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

I have both, a Sadowsky NYC standard bass and a 1972 Fender Jazz bass which I use with a Sadowsky preamp/di box.

In my opinion, they are still very different sounding basses. Remember, the Sadowsky sound is not just from the preamp but the sum of all it's parts.

That said, why do I use a Sadowsky preamp with my Jazz? I find it gives a bit more umph to my sound while still retaining that classic vintage Fender sound. I generally run the treble flat on the preamp and boost the bass just a bit. Than the tone control on my Jazz works sort of like the Vintage Tone Control (VTC) on a Sadowsky bass. I use my Jazz about 90% of the time and always with the preamp.

Here is a shot of my rig with the jazz bass, the preamp is sitting on top of my rack :)

[​IMG]

3. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Fodera Guitars , Harvest fine leather bags & straps
    the good thing about using a Fender with the Sadowsky Pre amp / DI box (which I do and LOVE) is that the Fender is also a great Bass used and played passiv

I've never heard a Sadowsky that sounded good played in passive mode ;)

4. TheBogart

TheBogart

Do you bypass the preamp on your amp?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Nope. It would be no different than using my Sadowsky bass. The preamp in the outboard box is the same preamp put into the basses.

7. TheBogart

TheBogart

O love sound of my MIA alone. But i love even more the sound thru the Sadowsky preamp. I think the extra zing is a plus on my tone.

I run it in the beginning of the fx chain so i can drive the effects better. It's more full. More "round". More tone at my fingertips.

And i think we can get close to the classic Sadowsky tone that sits like magic in a mix. But want to ear from other players.

Are we far or are we close?

8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

One of the best tones I ever had was a '64 Jazz through a Sadowsky outboard. Never could get a Sadowsky bass to sound like that.

9. lowfreq1

lowfreq1

A Fender Jazz through a Sadowsky outboard is very nice combination, but it will not sound like a Sadowsky.
    I have a UV70-4 Jazz with Fender CS 60's pickups and the sound is a hybrid of Fender and Sadowsky.
    It gives a round, warm sound of a fender and the snap and bite from the sadowsky. The best of two worlds.
    And it sounds GREAT in passive mode. It did NOT with the sadowsky pickups.

10. TheBogart

TheBogart

The cool thing of having a nice passive Jazz is that we can have this legendary tone that suits good in old stuff like blues and R&B. But with the Sadowsky Pre, we can go for a more modern sound. The slap tone is amazing, nice mid scooped and with a extra zing to it.

I belive that they work very well together. And with little investement In the Sadowsky Pre we mame our passive Jazz Basses to sound and sit very well in the mix.

11. TheBogart

TheBogart

This combination still rocks!

I think someday i'll buy a Sadowsky Bass, because i love this midscooped sound.

:smug: