Fender Kingman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trigger65, Nov 8, 2012.

1. trigger65

trigger65

Hi, My first post! I play six string guitar and recently bought a new Fender Kingman as I wanted to teach myself bass. I am very pleased with it, but have noticed, as I improve, that I would prefer the action to be slightly lower further up the fret board. The neck is perfectly straight and so I assume that it’s the underside of the bridge bone that might need shaving. How simple would it be for me to remove it, bearing in mind the bridge pick up, and carry out this adjustment myself? Or am I being fussy wanting an electric action on an acoustic?
    Thanks.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Sanding the bottom of the saddle is the way to lower the action. Do it a little at a time, because too much = new saddle. It probably isn't attached and will lift out once the strings are loose.

Acoustics generally sound better with a little higher action than electrics, IME. Of course, electrics generally sound better with a little higher action, too...again, IME/IMO.
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320

You paid good money for your brand new bass, and if there's something we bassists always learn from guitarists, or from playin' guitar, if it's the case, is the quest for a more comfy overall handlin' and "attitude"

If I can confirm you something BTW
    I got a, very Italian, Eko Florence Acoustic bass, on which I put steel strings in bronze ones place, and the only occasion when I arranged a very low action was when I downtuned it a full step (D, G, C, F) instead of keepin' it straight (E, A, D, G)

That said, to modify base of bridge bone is the very first, and logical, point
    Anyway I kept it its way.
    First of all because of the post below (it sounds a bit better like it is).
    Secondly for I play it in my all round cover outfit, where I employ my brand new luthier made Fender Steve Harris Old West Ham Precision... so faithfully released, that I struggle with his "trademark" impossible high action almost each and every night!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  4. trigger65

trigger65

Thanks - I guess I’d get used to its imperfections, but a little voice inside keeps pestering me! Two things though: I once messed up a bridge pick up (my son’s guitar - I had it repaired) trying to do a similar thing, so once bitten. But I really would like to be able to carry out such things. Also: Should I get hold of a spare Fender saddle first, just in case? BTW, the factory strings are meaty - I wonder if I changed the gauge, might that ease the neck ?
  5. Wallace320

Wallace320

I bought a Fender Precision jr. (a MIM 28,60" scale original Fender Precision) to present it to my son, not yet born back in those days (he's only 1 year old now)

Torino red, that's the finish, so I asked for the upgrade of a DiMarzio ModelOne neck pickup to give it a more howlin' voice. My best bass is my Sheehan's Yamaha Attitude Limited II in lava red so I desired to turn his lil' Precision more like my axe.
    The techs failed to align the routing and cavity with strings (the Precision jr. sport a regular spacing bridge and split pickup)
    I must have approached every level of fury until they fixed it properly
    So I think I can understand

Back to KingMan
    Yeah a different gauge, so a lighter set, can release the neck a bit

Anyway, as already stated above, detensioning the strings should allow the bridge bone to slide out on its own
    And I think you'll need no replacement saddle. You can make it yourself.

But let's say so: a wise dad? Try lighter strings and watch the neck over a few minutes I think something can already change

Cheers,
    Wallace
  6. trigger65

trigger65

Not sure about prudently wise! But if you learn from your mistakes, then I should be a genius by now. Thank you both for your input. I might go down the lighter strings route first - then the bridge - then the guitar tech (!) The bridge bone is compensated, so I don’t think I could replicate it, or is that something that wouldn’t put you off with regards to making one?
  7. Wallace320

Wallace320

So I think you can start up tryin' to lower its base by an (don't know how you call it) "iron scrubber", if anything goes wrong (you cut it too much) you should be able to replace it with an unexpensive retrofit.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  8. Immigrant

Immigrant

The following is my opinion, as wrong as it probably is:

Acoustic basses are great to learn bass with because when plugged in, poor fretting hand technique is revealed.

I've never seen or played an acoustic bass capable of achieving action as low as an electric, unless it has a "conventional" bass bridge. Only a few do. Setting intonation is a little tricky on an acoustic, and if you adjust the neck to lower the action it throws intonation off. That's why saddles for acoustic guitars come with varying compensations.

The Kingman is a totally cool instrument.

As stated earlier, I'm probably completely wrong about everything above.