Fender KXR 100??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassBart, Dec 11, 2013.

1. BassBart

BassBart

Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm the new guy around here, been playing bass since 7th grade or so (1981 maybe?) and I've always used my reliable Peavey Century 100 and homemade cabinet. Lately I've been kicking around the idea of an upgrade but since I've never played anything else (also still using my early eighties vintage Westone Thunder 1A :) ) I was wondering if what I've got is maybe still OK and I'd be better off spending money on a good quality cabinet/speaker.

There's a Fender KXR 100 on craigslist by me for $150, any other suggestions or should I just stick with what I have and find a good cabinet to buy?

I'm keeping the Westone, I still kinda like it.:hyper:

Thanks!
    Bart
  2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

The KXR is technically a keyboard amp. A spinoff of their BXR (bass extended range) series. Late 80s - early 90s vintage. I owned a couple BXR combos and they were pretty good. I owned a BXR400 head that was excellent.
    I'm not sure how the circuitry or voicing is different for the KXR version, but I'd probably hold out for something else.

Used Yorkvilles/Traynors are excellent considerations for used, budget priced combos. Good luck.
  3. BassBart

BassBart

thanks for the reply. bart
  4. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

I would say bass amp technology has come a long way since the KXR came out. While there are still some great vintage amps to consider(SVTs, Trace, Traynor, etc) at the low to intermediate level newer amps are dramatically better. You can probably find something used developed in the last 5 years that will blow away the KXR and cost about the same.

ps- I also have a Thunder IA. Great sound, but short horns and weight make it incredibly uncomfortable to play.
  5. Register to disable this ad