Fender-less!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottTunes, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

I'm Fender-less for the first time in years!!! Kinda nervous about it too, even though I still have "too many" basses!

However, I have my eye on the latest MIJ Bass VI... Is it really worth twice the price of the MIM "Pawn Shop" six???

Discuss...
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Welcome to the club, Brother!
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I went Fenderless for about a month in 2007. Hated it.

Anyway, no experience with the recent Bass VI's, but I've yet to play an MIM bass I liked better than an MIJ. Having said that, the MIM's ain't bad.

How's that for a non-answer? ;)
  4. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    I was Fender-less for 7 months... my baby was stolen in january of this year ('97 am std. jazz V i bought new in ....'97). I have the new MP jazz V and it kills.

I can never go without a Fender again.

OH YEAH, back to the OP, i have no experience with the Bass VI. The whole "Fender-less" title got to me... Non-answer from me too i guess.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

priceless quote!;)
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I can't wait for my G&L to come in so I CAN be Fenderless :D Well Fenderless in brand only and not in function.
  8. DiMarco

DiMarco

I got two fenders but rarely use them.
    Come on guys there's more great basses in the world besides fenders.
  9. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Been Fender-Less since I got rid of the Precision I had years ago. Never been happier :)
  10. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

Haven't had a Fender or even a Fender-style bass since 2009's short MIM Jazz affair due to circumstances beyond my control.
    Before that, I had an amazing '62 Precision for a few years in the late '70s.
    I guess that means I've owned the ultimate Fender, and while it was a great bass it wasn't what I need to do my job now.

Sleep like a baby every night.
  11. krysh

krysh

I have never owned a fender since I started in 1982, and I don't intend to change this.
  12. Wallace320

Wallace320

But it was with a guitar

I still got my black/maple MIJ basswood Stratocaster, today equipped with full Pink Floyd's David Gilmour EMG active electronic, pickup and pickup selector, and again David Gilmour's GHS string set.

Further, I play it thru a pair of MIA 2x12" "Princeton Chorus" (s/n 1490 and 1690).

But it's just for the last 7 years that I started to buy Fender basses and many have come and gone (look at my TB profile)

I still got the very first one, come thanx to italian historical Fender distributor, when I eventually saw it on the huge 2006
    "60th anniversary" frontline catalog: 28,60" MIM Precision jr.

Then I got the very last one, a Fender parts Steve Harris West Ham United Precision.

My cars never been "Fenderless" as well

1992 Ford Fiesta 1.3 litre;
    1997 Lancia Ypsilon 1.2 litre;
    1999 Renault Clio 1.2 litre;
    2007 Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 litre;
    2010 Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 litre

all proudly sported a Fender sticker behind their back for the whole world to know

Finally
    MIJ features are a bit better than MIM ones but the sound and character of the latter are no way worse than the ones of the former.

So, considerin' the brand new Squier bass VI as well, MIM's the perfectly balanced choice between the three offerings

Cheers,
    Wallace
  13. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Hahaha!! That's rich!

Ok... I guess I left myself open for such comic relief! LOL!

There's a certain standard "pocket" sound a Precision bass has that many engineers want. I imagine I'll have at least a coupe of worried sits without the P... My Carvin and Rick basses should cover whatever sounds are required. But it's the engineers who insists on having the Fender bass that "pushed" me got another one after 20+ years without. :eyebrow:
  14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I try to be Fenderless but it never works.

I buy super high end coffee table basses or start collecting Stingrays.... But always come back.

Fenders are kinda like the mafia. Once you get in you can never get out. You may take a vacation from them from time to time... but you will be back.
  15. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

I became fender less last week. I traded in my Am Sp J after much thought. I just never bonded with it. I have two Gibson's now. I enjoy playing them more but embarrassingly I find myself looking on GC and E-Bay at P's. Love the tone but the short scale Gibson's just feel right and I can EQ a Fenderish tone.
  16. Mike M.

Mike M.

I have Fenders but haven't played them for a while. Been using my SR505 for church and for my Thursday night gig. That low B just comes in too handy for certain things. Plus the light weight (7.5 pounds) is great for my back.

But the Fenders aren't going anywhere.
  17. spade2you

spade2you

Haven't had a Fender or Fender style bass in years.

This is the closest I get.

[​IMG]
  18. Davesound

Davesound

Hi

I'm sure I should be posting this some place other then here.Sorry! I have a 1980 MIA Jazz Fender in excellent condition to sell.My hands have nerve damage and I can't play it.It has all original parts but I put on it the Dunlop strap holders.It has Fender 9050 CL strings.I love it.How do I tell how much to ask for it? I took the neck off and it has stamped on it ,may3084 .The Serial number indicates its a 80 bass.I have pic I can post once I know what to ask for it.It is in almost mint condition.

Davesound
  19. shoot-r

shoot-r

SIR!!!

STEP BACK AWAY FROM THE EDGE!!!

DO IT NOW!!!

(My command distracts you as the other responding officer with me comes at you from the opposing side...)

GET ON THE GROUND!!!

DO IT NOW!!!

Your cuffed, placed in a crusier, and transported to the nearest stocking Fender dealer.

It'll get better now...:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  20. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Scott: Love you work man...

And don't worry too much about being fender-less. I was in the same boat a few years back, but I'm well and truly back on track now...(cough)
  21. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Almost in the opposite boat. I almost have only fenders right now. :oops: