1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Lightweight Vintage F tuners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeWfromNJ, Dec 31, 2013.

1. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ

What is the draw to these tuners? I recall the more deluxe versions of some American made Jazz basses had these some years ago and have been looking at necks to find that some of the more expensive ones have these tuners installed.

Is a lighter weight desirable on the headstock or just contributed to a lighter overall bass.

ALL of the older/vintage J and P basses obviously had the originals, what could have been wrong with that?

Or is it just bling/gimmick or personal preference?

Sorry for the new bee scooby question, looked around but couldn't find anything without sifting through 10,000 threads.

2. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ

Surely, somebody must have an answer or an opinion?

3. Ragoo

Ragoo

Lighter tuners leads to less headstock dive, which means your fretting hand doesn't have to work as hard to hold up the neck and headstock at a good playing angle.

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The sole purpose of lightweight tuners is to reduce/eliminate neck dive, which some players find infuriating. Many people have sold basses they otherwise loved because of neck dive issues.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

And then there's people like me who have never noticed neck dive, despite using vintage tuners on my Fenders, playing 8 strings, and Gibsons. Lightweight tuners are pretty much a personal choice based on whether you are afflicted by such...weighty issues.