1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender logos on Squier basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkoYYZ, Dec 13, 2013.

1. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

This is a debate that will never end, but the practice will not stop regardless of protests to the contrary. In an effort to find a compromise, I thought I'd get the board's feedback on this idea.

How about a Fender waterslide logo for the headstock that will appease the logo snobs that people may have in their band (or studio, or crowd, or even their own ego...), but that doesn't fully cross over to being a Fender fake and could never be passed off as one if being sold used.

What if it made specific reference to being a Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified instrument, like this:

[​IMG]

Those of you who like updating the look of your Squiers - would this be enough?

Those of you who dislike outright fakes - would this appease your sensibilities?
  2. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

I may be naive but do people actually worry about replacing a Squier logo with a Fender logo if they aren't trying to "fake" the bass? I had also wondered about where to get waterside logos as I was thinking about replacing a neck on one of my actual Fenders. Not so much because I care what people think about it but because I think it looks bare with nothing up there.
  3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I never understood the need to eradicate all things squier on a bass and replace them with the "proper" fender. Its like lying about yourself at a job interview: no matter what you say, you're still you and if the care enough, people will be able to find discrepancies.
    Just my opinion, I understand wanting to be cool with a "real fender" and that squiers are lame, but a good instrument is a good instrument, and personally, I would label mine as such, regardless of the manufacturer.
  4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I'm not as rabid about it as others, but why put Fender on a Squier headstock? If you want to have fun misspell it as Squire, but putting Fender on it is misleading.
  5. antonspon

antonspon

Frankly, I *like* having the Squier logo on my Jazz - that way everyone knows it's genuine! :) (Which is also the reason I usually avoid Fenders...too much stress trying to determine if it's real...).
  6. Webtroll

Good point. I've actually passed on a nice Squier because it had a Fender decal on it.
  7. MarkoYYZ

I think a lot of people think the Squier logo either looks cheaper, or indicates to people that the bass *is* cheaper.

I'm not questioning people's motives, only trying to figure out if there can be a happy medium.

I've also been thinking about designing some custom Squier headstock logos that may still emulate a more Fender feel. For example - put a spaghetti style Squier logo in place of the Fender in the images above, but keep the "JAZZ BASS" as shown to get a more true 70s vintage look. Or reverse the usual gold w/ black outline Squier logo to be black w/ gold outline, like the Fender counterpart.
  8. K-Frog

K-Frog

If folks are ashamed to play a bass with a Squier logo, then just don't play a Squier.
  9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Why stop there? Why not put a Lincoln Navigator logo on a Ford Focus, a Lexus logo on a Toyota, or an Acura logo on a Honda?

As someone who owns several MIA Fenders, it drives me crazy when people put the Fender logo on Squiers. Not because I am a gear or logo snob, but because it's deceptive. Replacing the Squier logo with Fender does not change the fact that the bass is still a Squier. The only reason to do it is to fool people into thinking that it is a Fender. If you want a Fender, save your money and buy one.
  10. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

I don't understand what people don't understand about this. :confused:

What I meant is I don't understand how anybody could think that it's okay.
  11. Webtroll

He's referring to replacing the Squier logo with a Fender logo using the line of the Squier logo underneath the Fender logo, doesn't seem hard to understand. Where's the confusion?
  12. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Oh man, I may slap a Fender sticker on my Squier just to ruffle some feathers. People take that stuff way too seriously. Like it somehow devalues their instrument or something. I mean, I don't plan on selling it, so really, what does it matter?
  13. spaz21387

spaz21387

I don't see why you need to do it. I'll rock my squier with its logo. at shows when someone is looking to steal gear. they will pass up my squier and steal somebody's "fender"
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Totally and completely bogus idea. All that is going to do is create another giant confusing category of advertising bullshizz. And hand a big phony justification to the type of "not-my-problem" sellers who who like to give themselves a caveat emptor pass whenever they successfully outsmart someone.
  15. MarkoYYZ

Further to my thinking... THIS is how FMIC should have logo'd the headstock of their VM Jazz.

It remains branded a Squier, but improves to a more authentic 70s look.

[​IMG]
  16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Exactly. It's like guys with fat girlfriends who claim they love them, but won't take them out in public. COWARDS!
  17. JCooper

JCooper ...meep. Supporting Member

Last few years, I've been getting a real kick out of playing a Squier. The one I have sounds great, and I absolutely LOVE layin' it down with a cheap bass.
    No one has said anything to my face yet, but the look when the logo is identified, priceless.
  18. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I dont see how the squier logo on the classic vibe looks cheap? its under the nice tinting of the headstock clear in a outlined gold leaf style logo? it looks WAY better then MIM fender logos look. The old MIM logos looked terrible, they sat about the clear and had a serial number right on the front which looks terrible to me and now the new ones are just plain black.

I would never put the effort into a logo. Why be a walking bill board for fender? when I use to play out with rickenbackers I made a blank TRC that said nothing on it. I dont care if people know what it is. MY guitarist had a fender strat and slapped a sticker over the logo. Who cares?
  19. SR300DX

SR300DX

Here's another way to put snobbery in perspective. The Ferrari 308 classically known as the Dino has a Fiat engine. Ferrari snobs looked down on it. But today, it's one of the most sought after cars. Is a Squire a great guitar? You bet. I've got a Fender '88 reissue of the '62 PBass, but I'm still looking for the right Squire to add. There's more than a few bassists that make great music on a Squire.
  20. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

maybe I'm crazy but I don't see what the big deal is. If you buy a bass and want to change something then go for it, you paid for it and its yours. the average person in the crowd at a show cares more about if the band sounds good than what you are playing. I've played $5,000 basses on stage. The only people who really said anything about them was other musicians. My current main gigging bass costs me $700 used. No one cares as long as you don't suck onstage or try to sell a bass as something its not.

As far as anyone being paranoid about buying a fake? theres more than one way to check to see if a bass is legit. but if your so worried about buying a fake go out and give your local music store some business instead of buying everything online. Music stores used to be awesome before the majority of people started buying online. one of the reasons people buy and sell gear so much anyways is because they don't play it before buying.