1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Fender MIA Standard Jazz Bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adambarringer, Jan 31, 2014.

1. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    Anyone got or had a Fender MIA Standard Jazz Bass V? What do you think? Particularly the low B?

I've read a few reviews but none of the music shops near me have got one available to try out.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    NE US/CAN line
    Superb basses IME, and very consistent as well.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I’ve got a ‘98 in Shoreline Gold (5 in-line tuner arrangement vs. the current 4+1 arrangement). Terrific bass. Bought it used in excellent condition.

As for the B, it works fine for me. I’ve personally never experienced the so-called “Floppy B” syndrome on a 34"-scale bass, but there are plenty of folks here who would dissent from me on that.

5. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    I think I'm going to go for one. Love my IV so sod it. Cheers gentlemen.

6. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I love mine 2012 MIA standard V. B is bit floppy when played unplugged but not an issue when plugged and played live or studio. Especially with this box :

[​IMG]

7. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I put together a 2013 American Std Jazz bass 5 string from a separate loaded neck and a loaded body. The B string sounds fine!

I get your desire to get some feedback, though. This particular model seems to be stocked by stores far less than other models. Hell, when I got my 2009 American Standard Precision 5 string THAT was a special order. So I'm not surprised that you can't find one to try out.

8. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Zombie bump

Gassing for one of these as I'm having a harder time with slap with my Bongo & Sterling HH due to the pickup in the way.

Went to GC & loved the standard, didn't like the deluxe (attenuated highs, bland tone). They didnt' have a fiver in stock

Did the move from 4+1 help the floppy B vs the inline 5 tuners on the headstock?

9. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I believe the current offerings are pretty darn good! I prefer active basses, but my local shop has an American Jazz V and I play it every time I go in there. It definitely has a certain vibe to it. And of course, you could always add a preamp, inboard or outboard!

10. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Lol! I didn't even realize this thread was 6 months old! But to address your question, I believe the 4+1 headstock did help, in Fender's case.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Not 100% sure, because I have seen some pros using the older 5-in-line headstock and sounding great, but I think it did help when they switched to the 4+1 setup. Or, maybe they just started building them more consistently around the time they switched headstocks, can't say for sure. But, I know that the low B on my MIA Jazz V is as good as any 34" scale 5-string I owned or played. It isn't floppy at all with a .130 B-string, and the notes have clarity which is sometimes difficult when you get into the low B-string. No complaints about mine, it ended my GAS for almost 4 years now and it might just outlast my latest acquisition, which is a 35" scale 5er....its that good.

jim nolte likes this.
  12. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Appreciate the report!

13. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have two 2013 American Standard V's and they are fantastic instruments. The B on both of mine is great. Take the plunge -- you won't regret it!

jim nolte and Tunaman like this.
  14. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    What strings do you folks use on your Fender 5 'ers? I also have an AM STD 5 string Jazz bass and will admit I haven't quite found a set with a low B that I was totally in love with. The closest I've come was DR Lo-Riders....on separate occasions I even tried a .125. a .130 and a .135 but nothing that's yet to make me say "the search is over."

15. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    DR tends to run less "tight" feeling than other brands. I have mainly used Fat Beams on my Jazz with a .130 B string. The B wasn't great, but not terrible either and the set sounds so good on a Jazz that the slightly looser B didn't bother me. I currently have La Bella Stainless Steels (formerly called Hard Rockin Steels) on my Jazz with a .128 B, and the B is much better in that set than any DR I've used, including the Lo Riders. Just avoid the La Bella Rx Stainless as I found those to be horrible.

16. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've only had my Am Std Jazz 5 for a few months now. I've got DR High Beams on mine, and I think the B string performs pretty well on that bass.

Tunaman likes this.
  17. I have had mine since 2008, Great bass, b string is fine. I'm have recently switched back to 4 strings.

Tunaman likes this.
  18. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I like DR's and Sadowsky blacks.