Fender MIA VS. MIM P-bass. the never ending discussion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RustyCage, Dec 31, 2013.

1. RustyCage

RustyCage

hey I've been Playing an active Spector Euro 4LX bass with EMG PJ Pickups for 4 years now. I've been playing this bass professionaly on Jazz gigs electronic, soul, rock and a 12 piece salsa orchestra and after a couple of very uncomfertable incidents with the battery during gigs I've decided to get a secondery bass that is both simple and reliable.

I turned to the first bass I fell in love with which is the Fender Precison bass. I went to my local store and played the 2012 American Standard P-bass with a candy cola finish and a maple fretboard (It felt and sounded perfect!). I also checked out a MIM jazz bass (2012 model) and was actually blown away by the quality of the sound (not to mention that the price was almost 50% lower). Since I live in Israel I have a rather limited amount of instruments that I could try before buying. The only P-bass in the store was the american one.

I've found on Musician's Friend the p-bass version of that same line of new MIM Models in a much more attractive price than it's american opponent. plus I dont really care about accessories since I already own a fancy ass SKB case so i wasnt bothered with it coming as it is no case or gig bag included . so basically what I'm asking is if there is a massive difference between the new standard MIM pbass(please no refrences to the 2005 or vintage models) and the MIA pbass in terms of neck feel and pickup preformance.

sorry for digging a hole and thank you for your time. Idan.

2. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

They're both made of alder and necks are both maple and 50% of the time they have rosewood fingerboards.
    Only difference is the pickups and the decal on the headstock. And even the pickups sound the same.
    Some say that American basses have better build quality and the like but they're just the same.
    Pick the one that suits you better.
    P-bass - Awesome, rock-solid, unambitious bass.
    J-bass - Bit quirkier, but more pretty (to my eyes), 2 pickups, more tonal variety.

3. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

4. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Just the same? No. Similar of course but no not the same.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't agree at all that they're just the same other than pickups. There are some very nice MIM's out there, but I've found them to generally be heavier and made with cheaper parts besides the pickups. That said, they ain't bad at all.

8. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    The Road Worn basses are MIM and I've really liked just about every one I've tried.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Road Worns are high end MIM's ;)

10. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Yes indeed--:D

11. pedroims

pedroims

Bridge and tunners are different, both do the job well. I dont know the pickups, Fender marketing department gave them a different name, in my experience replacing pickups has been the rule.

I wont be surprised if Fender use the same wood supplier, who send wood of trees growth in China to both factories. If money is a big concern to you then go with the MIM they are great basses for the money.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

You don't know what you're talking about...

- georgestrings

13. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Really? I've sampled more than 50 of each, and maybe my ears are too dead from enjoying the music I played but they sounded the same.

OP: if you want other bassists and maybe guitarists to think that you're professional, go with the MIA. But if you don't really care what anyone thinks and don't want to burn a big hole on your pockets, pick up a Mexe. You won't be disappointed.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Apparantly, you don't know what you're looking at, either - your statement was factually incorrect, in more than 1 way...

- georgestrings

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Regarding the OP - the MIM Fenders are very good instruments, and definitely capable of being played professionally... not as good as the MIAs, but very good, nonetheless...

- georgestrings

16. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Enlighten me.
    What's really the difference here?

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

The differences have been talked about many, many times here - look into it for yourself, then come back and admit that you were wrong...

- georgestrings

18. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Summarise it for me. There really just isn't any magic because of the 'MADE IN U.S.A.' On the decal. I'm not trying to argue I just want to see the opinions of others.

19. Mike M.

Mike M.

I've only played a few of the newer MIA and MIM P basses. With that brief experience in mind there was one particular MIM Standard P bass I tried that was stellar. Not that the other MIM's were bad, but this one in particular had that certain"something" above the other MIM's I tried. I was blown away by this bass, especially in terms of playablility. Played like a dream right off the rack. If I didn't already own a P bass I would have taken that MIM home with me.

There are great examples of each out there, but I've always felt it's best to try before you buy.

20. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

You're asking if there's a "massive difference" between the MIM & MIA necks and pups. In a word, No... but there is a difference. For some folks that difference would be huge, for some folks the difference would be minimal. It's also worth keeping in mind that not all MIM instruments are created equal any more than all MIA instruments are created equal.

21. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Literally, the ONLY parts the MIM Standard and American Standards *might* have in common are the neck bolts and PG screws - everything else is different between the two, with the MIA having a higher grade of component in every case...

The necks are totally different, and there is no question that the MIAs have higher quality necks, starting with the posiflex rods, rolled edges, etc...

That's just for starters - if you didn't see those differences during the "50" you played, then yeah - you don't know what you're looking at...

- georgestrings