1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender MIJ neck on MIM body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sonicblue62, Jan 29, 2014.

1. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Hi all,
    So I assume this will work, but I need to check with someone who has done it before I drop the cash. I recently learned that MIJ necks don't fit on Indonesian Squier bodies and my project was put on hold. Thanks for any guidance!
  2. sonicblue62

bump. Anyone?
  3. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

It may depend on the years. All I know is that when I put a 1986 MIJ neck on an 2011 MIM body (and vice versa), the heel of MIJ neck was a tiny bit rounder and the pocket of the MIJ body a fraction longer. The holes matched up no problem, but there were little gaps in the corners of the neck pocket with MIM neck on the MIJ body. The middle of the heel was touching the body, but not the corners.

With the MIJ neck on the MIM body, there was a tiny gap between the entire heel and the body. Again, the holes matched up, but the MIJ neck pocket was slightly longer.

Quite honestly, it didn't impact the tone or sustain at all, but it bugged me all the same and switched them back.

MIJ and MIMs from around the same period may be a better match, but I wouldn't assume so without further advice.
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

I put an unlined Fretless MIJ Jazz neck on a MIM Jazz body, and it was a tight fit, but it worked just fine. I'm sure it would vary depending on the year each part was made.
  5. sonicblue62

Thank you Gentlemen!