1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

fender mike dirnt road worn questions..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iownit4, Feb 4, 2014.

1. iownit4

iownit4

very interested in buying one of these signature basses,just wanted to know if anyone has played one yet I've been checking with local shops and Guitar Center and they do not have in the store my questions are: neck profile ,weight of the bass, and what kind of case does it include thanks for all your help..
    Rob ny

2. ahc

ahc

Look on the Fender website. Your questions will be magically answered... except for the weight cause that's always a variable.

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
  4. iownit4

iownit4

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    I have never played the RW Dirnt but I have tried the non RW Dirnt. Well built and hefty! The neck has a very beefy 50's Precision or 70's Tele like profile. Every example I played was heavy due to the ash body. Also the pick guards tend to warp and pop up on these no big deal but I find it annoying. Overall a good powerful bass.

7. iownit4

iownit4

cool thanks for the info I'm just hoping to play one at a store before I pull the trigger

8. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    I had a RW jazz for a while and I have to say I liked it alot! I can only presume the RW treatment of the Dirnt will enhance it's feel.

9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I love the fact that the Mike Dirnt Road Worn P Basses are available with maple necks and happen to be in similar finishes to my 60th Anniversary Precisions. They would make great stunt doubles as a nick or a ding on them wouldn't matter so much.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    The non-RW Dirnt I heard at a radio show had massive low mids—in a good way.

11. iownit4

iownit4

Im really want to play one to feel the neck..and weight, I hope guitar center or local shops get one in soon..

12. gomez hacienda

gomez hacienda

I've had it for about 2 weeks now and love it. The weight is fine. The worn bits are very well done IMO. It reminds me of my old 60s Fender after about 3 years of playing. My biggest like is the neck. A bit wider at the nut than a Jazz, but not as wide as a vintage P. It has just enough meat to not be so thin as a Jazz, which I don't like, but not a baseball bat either. Very well planned out. Over all, I'd have to say it's really worth trying. I certainly recommend it.

Attached Files:

13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Dang, after deciding to trade my tax time bass purchase for an IEM setup, I see this. May end up with one for a backup to my 60th.

14. iownit4

iownit4

Ty Gomez ... I order the white with maple after playing a tobacco in a local shop. ..

15. sPiKi

sPiKi

I have an opportunity to pick up the white blonde with rosewood for a heavily discounted price but have a few questions before I take the plunge.

I have never played one of these before and am just a bit concerned about the slab body and whether it is uncomfortable or not & how the tone compares to a J or P. I normally play an 2010 Amer Std Jazz with a thin neck and lightweight body which I love. Last year I bought a matching 2008/9 Amer Std P in Olympic white and tort. However, although this is a great sounding bass I just haven't gelled with it & never gig it. Its just become my practice bass in the house and its too expensive for that. Having seen these RW models, I have serious GAS but also reservations if my P is a superior guitar.

I can't afford to buy the Dirnt outright atm but am giving serious consideration to selling on the P.

Any thoughts or words of advice? Thanks.

16. bassthumpersf

bassthumpersf

Do these have a belly cut?

17. sPiKi

sPiKi

nope, just forearm contour but lack of belly cut is not an issue...reasonable weight and depending on how low you sling it, not at all uncomfortable

18. Guinness20

Guinness20

I'm trying to decide whether I go for one of those in sunburst and rosewood or an american standard p bass - I like a bass with some weight to it and a thick neck :hyper: