Fender Miller V vs Ibanez SR5005e

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stephensalvador, Feb 5, 2014.

1. stephensalvador

stephensalvador

Hi fellow bassist! I just got here in talkbass. Haha!

I just wanna ask your opinions between Fender MM V and the Ibanez SR5005e. I wanna sell my two basses to get either one of this. Their price is the same here in Canada so I'm really focusing on the performance of each bass so please help me out.

Thanks!!
  2. 456string

456string

I got the MM5 for many years, bought one right after it hit the market. Since day one it is my main axe, it plays any style of music and how. Exchanged the bridge to a Badass V, works like a charm. Just make sure you get one with a strong and solid low B string, some of the MM5 I've played in stores had a really weak low-B...don't order it online! Check it in the store before you buy!

The Ibanez SR5005e is a nice bass too, but sound wise it has nothing to do with the MM5...you can't really compare those two.

On the MM5 make sure you use only 1-3% of bass & treble boost when set to active. I had it set too high in the beginning, makes it muddy an clanky at the same time. I saw on YT video that MM switches it to passive when playing fingers, so you get more mids. Funny, i naturally did the same thing...passive for fingers, active for slap.

MM5 is like a wild horse, takes you a while to get it under control, but when you got it baby has a dynamite dynamic...makes you play. Ibanez SR5005e is way less dynamic and less explosive sound...all a matter of taste ;)
  3. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Two entirely different basses - almost polar opposites. For me it would be the Ibanez without a second thought because of the thinner neck profile, pu's/electronics, and aesthetics alone. Go to their websites, and see what you get for the money - then go to your local music stores, and try out a Fender 5er vs an Ibby SR5 (any will do for feel purposes), and see what feels best.

Either way - that's a lot of cash - you want to get the right one the 1st time.
  4. Vipersassasin

Vipersassasin

The Marcus Miller V trumps a lot of basses because it is one of the few basses that come standard with just volume and tone along with active tone... No balance knobs to destroy the volume of one pickup over the other. If basses had a V/V/T for passive or even V/V/T/T with a switch to turn on active then I would choose the Ibanez or a lot of other basses really. I just have never liked a blend/balance knob because what if you like one pickup full volume while you roll back the other? IMO, blend/balance knobs shouldn't exist, but that's just me!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stephensalvador

stephensalvador

@456 so how did you changed the bridge? I got a BA V but I can't install it to my VM J.bass due to the fact that it has a different screw spacing. I wanna try doing some drilling stuff but I'm a little bit scared lol. Any DIY suggestions would be appreciated. ^__^

@solar that's why I really need an advice when it comes to this two..big bucks for the right bass. I'm gonna head out to a music store to look for some sr5005e to see how it really feels like.
  7. Sup3r_Midg3t

Sup3r_Midg3t

hmm.. I got a Squire 5 string? looks just like the Marcus Miller V really ha. but.. like they said, you wanna play them first. I was going to get a Peavy because I really liked the colors, but when i played them, I prefered the Fender tone. :p
  8. aproud1

aproud1 Lost time is not found again. Gold Supporting Member

As others have said, two very different basses. Sight unseen I'd go for the SR. MM is nice but the SR5005 is excellent.
  9. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

I've never much liked the B string on the SR series. They're very floppy, IMO. Even with a .135, the tension improves but the tone gets muddy.

My vote's on the MM, all the way.