Fender MIM Bass, Jazz or Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Myrriad, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Myrriad

Myrriad

I'm looking to mostly play Rock/Metal with some slap thrown in (Flea/Les Claypool are my biggest inspirations, along with some Geezer Butler/and a little Geddy Lee). It's this brand, and both are around $600 new, and both come (stock) with my color of choice. Just unsure of what will give me the sound I'm after more. It's only my second bass, my first being an Ibanez Soundgear 200, so I need some input.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would go with the Jazz you can solo either the neck or bridge pickup to get a diverse amount of tones

3. soulman969

soulman969

A Jazz Bass will give you more tonal flexibility and is probably a better choice if you focus on slap playing and/or busier funk style bass lines played in higher register. The PBass is a better choice for accentuating fundamentals in heavier rock tunes.

Two totally different sounding basses and a different type of use for each at least in my world. If you want to cover both basses a Jazz Bass can get closer to sounding like a PBass than a PBass will ever sound like a Jazz so that's why I'm saying that it's more tonally flexible.

You may want to look at a Fender Bass with a P/J pickup configuration and get a little of each in one instrument. Personally I'd opt for a Jazz Bass first but that's me.

4. Myrriad

Myrriad

So, for something like a Primus or RHCP cover I'm better off with a Jazz, but for something like Black Sabbath or other "traditional" rock/metal a Precision would suit me better?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Myrriad

Myrriad

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0146200

That would be a MIM right? Also, any way to tell what year it is? I'm liking the color on that, is there any difference between the Rosewood fretboards and the Maple fretboard? Looks aside obviously, is the sound the same?

7. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Don't know your thoughts about buying used, but you can easily find BOTH a Fender MIM Jazz and MIM Precision for $600. Or, better yet, you can get two Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe basses new for just a little bit more.

Why limit it to one, new MIM Fender?

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Rosewood traditionally has a more mellow, round sound and maple has a brighter tone with a little more snap.

If you slapped a lot, I would consider the jazz, precision slapping is alright but not my preference. As far as everything else, especially that old school Geezer Butler tone, I am a P guy.

You really can't go wrong. Are you anywhere a music store? Can you go try some out, you don't necessarily have to try those specific basses but at least try a decent P and a decent J, Fender or knock off.

That link is a MIM. Fender calls it a Fender Standard, MIM is just a slang term.

9. Myrriad

Myrriad

I don't have a music store around for like 40 miles sadly. I suppose I'm not restricting myself to Fender, it's just what I've found. I'm really just looking for a solid bass that'll play the styles of music I listed.

10. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Precision cause you want to be able to play precisely.

11. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Are you in the United States? If so, MIM basses can be had a dime a dozen. You can order from used.guitarcenter.com and have it shipped to any Guitar Center, or to your house.

12. Myrriad

Myrriad

Looks like I can get it in my color for around $350-400. Is there a quality guarantee/return policy from used guitar center?

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Fender MIM Bass, Jazz or Precision?

-----------------------------------------------------

Get one of each and spend a few years sorting out which one is better for you. Then when you finally reach a decision you will realize that you like having more than one bass.

14. Myrriad

Myrriad

Well, the idea is to have several eventually :p I'm just wondering on what to start with. No cash now, but in like 5-6 months I can get one.

15. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Yes, GC will accept returns within 30 days. You may not get the shipping charges refunded but that's life. Any GC store will do. Easier than mail order if they are close by.

I agree with the idea of learning on more than one bass...as you can see from my profile! :D

Fender's recent MIM basses are excellent and buying used means you can sell later for close to what you paid.

Best wishes. :bassist: