Fender Modern Player Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by topcat2069, Apr 1, 2014.

1. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    Anybody that owns one…. I would like to hear your impressions on the pickups and switching. How do they sound, how does the switching affect the sound and volume ?

I read and re-read all the threads I could find about the MP Jazz 5 so I'm looking for specific information and reviews on the pickups and their capabilities.

2. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I had a 4 string model. The pickups were good, pretty high output and a good tone.

There was a volume jump from two singlecoils on to both humbuckers. The increase was smaller when switching to one singlecoil & one humbucker.

The outer coils did a good approximation of the typical Jazz sound, not 100% but more than adequate in a band mix. The humbuckers still sounded like a Jazz to me, but 'more'. Very full, and deep sound.

I found the best tone for me was neck humbucker, 100% volume, and bridge singlecoil, rolled back to 75%,with the tone backed off a lot. Sounded like a beefy PJ in the mix, to my ears.

This applies to the Satin version with the 4 way pickup selector, not the older gloss model.

3. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    Thank You… that's what I wanted to know…..