1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Modern Player VS Fender MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidfern94, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Davidfern94

Davidfern94

These from what I have seen both seem to be two rather nicely manufactured range of basses, I was wondering would anyone be able to shed a little bit more light on the two ranges? Any information would be appreciated, or even first hand accounts of using them :D
  2. ghostdog93

ghostdog93

3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

I think the fit n finish on the Modern Players is superior to the MIM Standards. The models are a bit weird but I really like the Jazz with the double buckers. I also really like the CV line from Squier and I dont care for the VM Squiers.

If you like the VM Squiers better than the CV you will probably prefer the MIM Standard over the Modern Players. The opposite is also true. Thats the best way I can explain it.
  4. Davidfern94

Davidfern94

Thanks for the advice, I've played a CV and loved how it felt, But I really wanted it in a 3 tone burst... Therefore the Modern Player Jazz looks like a good option?
  5. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

I really liked it but YMMV.
  6. Davidfern94

Davidfern94

I shall try one at my local store and tell you what I think
  7. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

I bought a Fender Modern Player Jazz about a month ago, and I really like it.

[​IMG]

The fit and finish are flawless, and the neck is a delight to play (it is a high gloss neck, which I prefer, but if you are into the satin finish you should stick with MIM). If you roll off the volumes you can obtain a more traditional jazz bass sound, but I like it just fine with the volumes dimed. The only complaint I have is that you can't easily coil tap the pickups because they are two wires instead of four.

To the OP's question, I have an MIM P Bass Special, which is a "P/J" configured bass with an active preamp. I like the look, feel and finish of the Modern Player better, but the MIM sounds just a little fuller (probably because of the preamp). Here's a video demo comparing the two in case you're still following this thread. They both have the same profile neck, so switching between the two is easy.
  8. jabsys

jabsys

Not exactly the same though, Jumbo frets vs Vintage, Alder body vs basswood, obviously different pickups.
  9. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

I'm revising my opinion on the Modern Player line, but just slightly. I bought a used MP jazz neck on eBay this week, and when it arrived it had a fairly sizeable chip in the finish on the front of the headstock (shame on the seller for poor packing). I get it, anything can happen, but what surprised me was just how wafer thin the finish was. Fender didn't spare a single drop of unneccessary laquer on that neck, unlike some other Fender basses I've had that seem to be encased in a deep, thick plastic shell that would stop a bullet in its tracks.

Long way of saying be careful with your new toys if you are one to worry about how your gear looks. Chips in these neck/headstock finishes really stand out because of the vintage tint.
  10. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    One mod I'd like someone to do on a Jazz is coil tapping the pickups for single operation.

While you're at it make the coils selectable.
  11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

The MP line tends to offer some options that are not available in other lines so if they appeal to you, your decision is clear. If you want a great bass you can buy upper end Squier, MP, or MIM with high confidence. If you don't believe that then try before you buy and you will know you get a great bass. If you are the kind of Squier buyer who has so much pride in your purchase that you immediately sand off the decal and put a bootleg Fender decal on then buy an MP instead. Fender has already done the work for you! :D

Ken
  12. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

A MP Jazz in either white or 3TSB will likley be my next purchace:hyper:
  13. dbd1963

dbd1963 Supporting Member

I've had my MP Jazz for a few months now, and I think it's a very versatile bass.