1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender MP Dimension Bass Mods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Villanova, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Villanova

Villanova

Hey guys,

I just received a Fender MP Dimension bass for Christmas. It's a cool bass that feels great, but I'm not too crazy about the triplebucker and rotary switch.

From what I understand, these are relatively new basses. Has anyone started modding with the hardware/electronics at all? Does anyone know about retrofitting other pickups in place of the triplebucker?

Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]
  2. Bobster

Bobster

Hi Villanova,

Don't have a Dimension, although that one looks sweet.

Have you thought about changing out the pre? Maybe a John East P Retro, to avoid drilling any new holes?

http://www.bestbassgear.com/p-retro-preamp.htm

That ought to give you some good options.

All the best,

Bob
  3. troy mcclure

troy mcclure

The bridge is pretty nice, I could see wanting to add some tone controls to it. Just got mine so I haven't opened it up to see how much route is under the pick guard.
  4. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

I've played a few of these and think they feel really good, but IMO the rotary switch only has one usable position. If it were mine, I'd ditch the switch, go with vol/tone, and call it a day.
  5. Villanova

Villanova

I thought about replacing the rotary with a master volume, master tone set-up. but all three coils are selectable and from previewing that setting, I'm not much into it.
  6. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Played one at Sam Ash the other day. On the rotary switch, I did think two of the settings sounded nice. As a mod, I would look at maybe adding a preamp.
  7. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

+1 on a couple of good selections although the volume jumps so much that I don't think you could switch coils in the middle of a song.
    The end of the pick guard looks broken to me!
  8. awilkie84

awilkie84

The MP Triple-bucker is the same size as the EMG 35 series soapbar pickups, so there's a huge amount of options for you. The same can't be said for the MIM/MIA Dlx Dimension pickups. They're "unique".

Tonally, I'd stick with the tri-bucker & add a pre-amp. :) You can add some holes to the pickguard & even keep the rotary switch, too.
  9. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

I might toy with the idea of putting in a '51 P pickup in a neck position, and wiring the rotary switch to incorporate it.
  10. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

What's the routing under the PG like? If there's room I'd think about adding a Tonestyler.
  11. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

It may be that the simplest mod is the best. Try playing one through a multiFX or multi-patch pedal preamp, like a VT Bass Deluxe, where you can sculpt several usable tones. I want one of these in charcoal, but the MF/GC availability is several weeks away.

Damned GAS.