Fender Musicmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Feb 11, 2013.

1. klejst

klejst

I was surfing the net this morning and came across a guy selling this Fender Musicmaster bass. He states that he has simply had it stored in storage for the last 25 years. He also said a Fender rep told him it was manufactured between 1971-1977 which when I looked it up was pretty much the time frame these basses were produced.

I have included some photos below, I don't know much about these Musicmaster's so that is why I am turning to the TB community. Firstly I want to know if everything looks legit and/or original? I know these basses are shorter scale however any general thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Buskman

Buskman

Everything looks kosher, except
    for the finish of course (and possibly the pickguard?). Plus I'm pretty sure that bridge cover is aftermarket.
  3. klejst

klejst

Thanks for the response. I have never seen a natural finish on one either so it is possible the paint was all sanded off? Also I am not a big fan of the covers so I would probably just remove it anyways.
  4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Cover is not original, paint has been removed. There were no natural musicmasters. That bass is for sale on ebay. Also its not a '76 its a early 70's. I have a '78 for sale and the logos and tuners are different from these earlier ones.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

My 1st bass was a Musicmaster. I traded it in on a Rickenbacker in 85. I think they gave me $50. for it.
  7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

I agree with all the comments on authenticity, parts, etc. Unfortunately, there's virtually no vintage market for the "student model" Fenders, no matter how old they are. I rehabbed a similar vintage Musicmaster, but I didn't love it till I swapped the original, anemic single coil pickup out for a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 Strat pickup. Great combination. However, all that said, a Mustang is effectively the same short scale neck and alder body, but with better bridge, tuners and pickup. It's a better value and you don't have to do anything to it.
  8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

No real collector value on this one due to refinish and other non original aspects. If it plays nice and you like the looks go for it but get a good low price if you can. The Fender Mustangs are a good vintage choice in the typical Musicmaster price range and I think the play better as well.
  9. Winfred

Winfred

That bridge cover probably helps offset the neck-dive. Just guessing.

Edit: Just realized it has the small tuners. Might not have neck-dive at all with those. Again, speculating. I play Mustangs, so I know the big tuners can cause some dive.